Sunday 29 May 2022

Is it Sleepwear or a Slip? OOP Kwik Sew 3645

Out-of-print (OOP) Kwik Sew 3645 is listed as a Misses' Sleepwear pattern but when I spotted this is a discontinued bin it screamed the slip pattern I've been looking for all these years.  How did I miss this pattern along the way I don't know.  

I've been on the look-out for a slip pattern that didn't have narrow straps.  It is the one thing that Mom has been asking for in a slip.  I thought I found one with vintage Simplicity 6851 but it turns out that she has been wearing it back to front instead of the was it was designed and intended to be worn.  She says it is more comfortable worn that way, even with bust darts in the back.  But I digress...

I straightened the hemline to make it look more like a slip.  And adjusted the seam allowance at the sides and shoulders to 5/8" from a quarter inch seam allowance included on the pattern.  

This is a super easy project to sew.  It was just getting the fit right that took the most consideration.  Since this project wasn't for me, I borrowed a previously made slip to help decide on the size to cut.  And then I saw this, 

Yeah, right.  

Based on the slip I was comparing the pattern to, I cut the sides, armhole and shoulder at a medium and graded down to an extra large at the hemline.  

It was almost perfect.  A request for a little more more ease so I made another one.  

From the center front and back, I fanned out about an inch at the hemline and added a quarter inch at the side seams.  The hemline was finished with a narrow top-stitched hem.  

The fabric is a 100% cotton woven from Northwest / Marshall Fabrics.  It's been in the stash for a couple of years.  It was prewashed and pressed before hitting the cutting table.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged side seams, seam binding on the neck and armholes

Fabric:  2 metres (both versions)

Seam binding:  5 metres

Pattern:  OOP Kwik Sew 3645

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Flip board paper, markers, straight ruler, curved ruler, cutting table, pattern weight, scissors, sewing machine, serger, threads, thread clippers, iron and ironing board.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

September is National Sewing Month: Keep on Sewing Sustainably

  This year's National Sewing Month theme is a continuation of last year's "Sew Sustainable" theme.  Be Mindful of Source...