Tuesday 30 July 2019

Vintage Simplicity 6851: Slip

For quite some time, I've had a request for a slip that has shoulder seams and non-ribbon straps. I found it in a vintage, circa 1960s pattern, Simplicity 6851.  


I'm impressed with this one, not only does it have the desired shoulder strap design, it also has a back shadow panel. I've never observed this design feature in a pattern or ready-to-wear slip. What a cool idea. Also like the darted front. The back is designed with princess seams. It really does have a lovely shape although it is not coming through in the photos.  


The fabric is a light-weight linen from the stash.  


The only changes other than leaving off the back shadow panel has been to shorten the length by four inches and sew a rolled hem throughout.  


The Stats

Fabric:  2 metres

Pattern:  Vintage Simplicity 6851

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Sewing machine, walking foot, serger, threads, cutting table, scissors, pins, pin cushions, and a cup of tea.  

Happy Sewing!




3 comments:

  1. What is a back shadow panel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked the same question when I saw this on the pattern envelope! It's kind of like an underlining piece for the centre back. I guess for modesty reasons.

    ReplyDelete

Wool Winter Coat: OOP Vogue 8934

I know it's officially spring and we didn't even feel like we experienced a winter here this year.  And yet I've been busy sewin...