Sunday 22 May 2022

Me Made May 2022 Editing (a Replacement Piece): Eva Dress

This version of Tessuti Pattern's Eva dress is a replacement for this version I made back in 2017.  This pattern is one of my favourite dress patterns.  I love that it's a pullover dress and the lantern shaped skirt.  The only reason I'm replacing the yellow silk version is that it shrunk in the wash and it's snug in the sleeves, pulls across the back and had been in the mending pile for seams that had given out in the past.  It was time for some editing.  

The fabric is what makes this dress.  It is a pear print cotton stretch fabric from Fabricland.  Counting this version, I currently have three Eva dresses in the wardrobe all made with cotton stretch fabrics.  Last year, I made this version when I gained weight and the first one I made became snug.  Since this time, I've lost fifteen pounds (many more to go) and the lemon print version is now too big and the red floral print version fits again.  That kind of explains why I think a cotton stretch fabric is the cat's meow.  

The pattern is a favourite and honestly, I've made more versions than the four mentioned here.  I highly recommend this pattern and believe that it's a good beginner's project as well.  There are no darts or zippers and this pattern is well drafted.  I was able to sew this up in an afternoon.  

There were some minor changes made to the pattern.  The hemline was shortened, pockets were raised by an inch, and the waistline seam was taken in an additional half inch.  The hems and neckline were finished with single fold seam binding.  Oh, and I sewed the seam allowances at 5/8" instead of the 1/2" recommended with the pattern.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.8 metres

Seam binding:  3 metres

Pattern:  The Eva Dress

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, measuring tape, pins, pin cushions, scissors, measuring gauge, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, threads, thread clippers, tailor's chalk, iron, ironing board and tea.  

Stay Safe & Keep Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...