Thursday, 20 July 2017

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived.


Let me start off by saying that the Eva Dress is one comfortable dress. I adore the lantern shape of the lower portion of the dress and there are pockets. Pockets are always a win detail. I can easily see another copy making it's way onto the next project list.  


A few people have mentioned that Tessuti patterns run on the large size but I didn't find this to be the case. I chose my size according to my bust measurement and no complaints. The only changes that I was aware of when I made this version was to the length and the pocket placement. I shortened the lower section at the hem by two inches and raised the position of the pockets. Unknowingly, I sewed the seams with a 5/8" seam allowance when the instructions call for a 1/2" seam allowance. Oops! This may be why I didn't find that the pattern runs large, as others had warned. Obviously, I didn't read the instructions throughly before I proceeded with the sewing since it seemed like a pretty straight forward project after flipping through the pages of the book.    

The light-weight cotton stretch fabric originates from Northwest / Marshall Fabrics and made it into my fabric stash a few years ago. I did find that I used more fabric that was called for in the pattern instructions. According to the pattern, I should have only needed 2.45 metres of 140 cm fabric. I used three metres and did not have enough left over fabric to cut bias strips so I made another trip to the store for some matching bias tape. Which wasn't a big deal because I discover picot elastic was back in stock on that trip.  

It is a quick project for a comfortable summer frock and I'm sure another version will soon appear.   
  

The Stats:

Fabric:  3 metres of cotton stretch fabric

Bias Tape:  2.9 metres

Fusible Tape:  1 metre

Pattern:  Tessuti's The Eva Dress

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, thread for the sewing machine and serger, walking foot, pins, cutting table, iron, ironing board, scissors, thread clippers, measuring tape, Burda tracing paper, highlighter, pencil/pens, wrist brace, many breaks, good tunes, and snacks.  

Happy Sewing!  

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Looks really good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm working on my second version today.

      Delete

Strawberry Fields Apron

I picked up this strawberry field print quilting cotton fabric and seam binding yesterday to make Mom an apron. She's been waiting for ...