Thursday 3 June 2021

Easy Peasy: The Eva Dress

  

Temperatures are expected to hit the high thirties (Celsius) in the next while and I'm desperately lacking summer clothes that fit.  I need an easy peasy pattern that I could whip up in no time.  And Tessuti's Eva pattern was perfect.  However, this dress took me weeks to prep the fabric, cut and sew.  Free time has been scarce. 

I've made a few versions of this dress but only two remain in my wardrobe.  One is made out of silk and is too tight at this moment.  The first version I made in a stretch cotton is snug but with the stretch, it's actually wearable.  So the time has come for a version with more ease.  

I cut the same size as the others, a medium but added 1/2" at the side seam allowances for a total of one and a half inches of extra ease.  The calculations work out this way because the pattern calls for 1/2" seam allowances and I sewed this project with a 5/8" seam allowance.  In the end, it was too much ease and I trimmed another 1/4" inch off each seam edge after basting and before stitching.  I ended up with 1/2" total ease around the dress.  Of course, I didn't need the extra ease in the skirt portion because this pattern has a lovely lantern shape, it was just easier to continue down from the bodice piece.  

Other changes were made to the length.  I shortened the length at the waist taking off another 1/2" from the bodice and upper skirt.  The lower skirt is shortened two inches.  

The neckline is treated with Knit 'N Stable tape and finished with single fold seam binding.  The sleeve and skirt hems are finished with the single fold seam binding.  


The fabric is a fun lemon print that is part of this year's Fabricland collection.  I picked this one because it is a cotton fabric with stretch.  And from the first time I spotted it, I patiently waited until it went on sale.  It's pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before hitting the ironing board for a steam pressing.  The fabric handled this process well and it was a pleasure to sew.   

Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch

Seam Finish:  Serged, neckline and hems are finished with seam binding

Fabric:  3 metres

Seam Binding:  3.5 metres

PatternEva dress by Tessuti patterns

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, pin cushions, measuring tape, measuring gauge, sewing machine, serger, threads, iron, ironing board and many breaks.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...