Saturday 7 May 2022

New Shirt: OOP McCall's 7904 and OOP Vogue 1503

For this project, I revisited out-of-print (OOP) McCall's 7904 and OOP Vogue 1503 to create another shirt.  This one is slightly different in the fit from the previous version.   

Some of the shirts hanging in my closet are a little snug or down right don't fit anymore.  Hence, my MMM pledge to edit my wardrobe and this project hitting the sewing table.  This shirt will replace two that no longer fit.  

The front, back, front facing, neck band and collar pieces are from OOP McCall's 7904.  The fitting suggestions of this Palmer / Pletsch pattern are what makes this a highly recommended pattern.  I like that this is a loose-fitting shirt.  The last time I made this shirt I made it with a fabric that has a little stretch in it so with this one I added a little bit of width at that side seams since I was working with a 100% cotton non-stretch fabric this time around.  I'm glad I did, I really do appreciate the extra ease.  


The sleeve, placket and cuff pattern pieces were borrowed from OOP Vogue 1503.  I prefer the placket design and the sleeve pleats from this pattern and the sleeve fit perfectly with OOP McCall's 7904.  

I did forget that I shortened the first shirt that I made and didn't make the same change here.  I wish I did, but I'm good with this length as well.  By the time I realized this, the front placket was sewn in place and I wasn't going to go back and make the adjustment.  The sleeves have the usual adjustment or being shortened.  

The fabric is a lovely light Japanese cotton that I found at Northwest / Marshall Fabrics many, many moons ago.  It was pretreated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before hitting the ironing board for a steam press.  It was a lovely fabric to work with and sew.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.4 straight stitch

Seam Finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2 metres

Interfacing:  1 metre (non-fusible)

Buttons:  10

Patterns:  OOP McCall's 7904 and Vogue 1503

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, pin cushion, measuring tape, measuring gauge, tailor's chalk, ruler, iron, ironing board, hand sewing needle, threads, thread clippers, sewing machine, walking foot, regular presser foot, buttonhole foot, serger, seam ripper, cutting board, hammer, and buttonhole cutter.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...