Wednesday 17 August 2011

It's my birthday!

Yup, it's my birthday. And today I'm celebrating by not giving a hoot about what anyone thinks. In other words I'm getting a haircut. And I'm embracing my gray.

I tried in the past to embrace the gray to much unwelcome criticism.

"You look like an old hag" my brother lets out over lunch nearly a year ago about the gray hair that I tried to embrace.

He wasn't the only one.

"Are you too poor to get a hair colour?" a co-worker asks about the gray appearing in my newly cut bob. "I can lend you the money if you want" she laughs.

Oh but there is more, I kid you not.

"Why do you want gray hair?" my boss at the time asks me. "You look so much younger when you dye your hair" she tries to soften the blow adding "don't take it the wrong way."

I eventually broke down in a moment of weakness and dyed my hair. And I hated it. I hated that I let other people's opinion dictate how I looked. That was the first and last time because I like the way gray hair looks.  

{source}
I'm celebrating my birthday by celebrating the authentic me.

I have a haircut appointment and no more colour, I'm thinking a pixie haircut to show off the gray.

I'm hoping for something like this photo but with the hot grayness that Jamie Lee Curtis sports. I use to have it short and I liked it so no big stretch there.

And then some port! So here is a toast to being authentic and never letting other's opinion dictate how we look.

Cheers.

  



2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday. Enjoy your celebration. And good for you for embracing gray - I think gray hair looks elegant and very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it was a quiet birthday (perfect actually). I'll likely catch some jazz on the weekend (I like Oona's multi-day birthday celebrating idea), why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...