Tuesday 2 August 2011

Sencha

Today is the day that I am tackling another Colette pattern, Sencha.

I did a poor job figuring out my size when I made Crepe. It had me very sad at the time because I think it is a beautiful dress. One of those my bad moments when I didn't make a muslin first. I do want to try it again and correct my ways, but that is for another day.

This is the fabric that I chose. It is 100% polyester but I fell in love with the print and the bright colours.

I seem to be drawn to anything that has yellow in it even though I'm scared to wear the colour.  I really must get over that. A little bit of yellow at a time is okay.

I re-cut the pattern to fit my bust measurement.  And I am happy to report that it does fit nicely at the shoulders and bust.

I'm making version B and I like the tucks coming down from the front neckline.

The sides are basted and I tried it on before committing to the side seams and seam finish. The blouses falls softly over my hips and I think I will omit the tucks from the bottom hem. I happy with the way it works without them.

I think the reader who commented about Colette's hip measurements being a bit on the smaller size was right. I don't have enough room to include the lower tucks in the front and back bodice pieces if I did want them. It is all good, I'm happy with the way the blouse it working out and fits regardless.

I have to say I do love the back button closure, it reminds me of a vintage style blouse. I'm going to have to find fun and colourful buttons for this one. But first, some lunch and then back to sewing.

Hope you're having a fun sewing day too!       







4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing how this top turns out - I have the pattern and keep meaning to give it a try. Your fabric is gorgeous - I think your top is going to look fabulous made from this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh! Love this fabric! It's looking great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll third those statements about this fabric--pretty it is--I like your taste in the fabrics you choose. If I may ask, do you buy ...locally? ...mail order? ...individual store? ...chain?

    If I may suggest...(I'm new to blogging so I don't know if I can do this, please correct me here if this isn't proper blog etiquette...making suggestions that is)...you mentioned colorful buttons. What do you think about 5 self-covered buttons either using pieces of color from this fabric or better yet using pieces of bright solid fabric in similar colors..Hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the lovely comments and suggestions. I fell in love with the print when I saw it. When I bought it I had no idea what it would become.

    Suggestions are always welcome here! I love the look of self-covered buttons. I didn't think of it. I did find something on hand, would you believe it wasn't even a bright colour?

    Wow, where do I buy fabric. I use to live in Toronto and would say that about 25% of my fabric stash originated from there, some from Montreal. They have such great selection.

    This fabric I found here at Fabricland. Sometimes it is tough to find unique or inspiring fabric here where I live (quilt and fleece country). And fabric stores and departments have been closing like crazy these past few years so the selection is getting slimmer each year. My favourite fabric store is Mitchell's they have some wild and retro fabrics and comtempory stuff too. I never know what I'm going to find. Sadly, the store has a pet cat and I'm horribly allergic to cats so I don't venture out there too often. I never ordered fabric on-line or mail order. I guess I'm the kind of sewer that likes to feel the fabric in my fingers before I make a purchase commitment?

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...