Monday 28 March 2022

Seven Months in the Making: OOP Butterick 6376

Okay, maybe not quite "in the making."  Perhaps it's more like "in the waiting."  It took a long, long time to make this project into something wearable.  I can't count how many sewing bloopers and the desire to give up on this project occurred along the way.  Well, here it finally is, my new denim jacket.  


The fact that I wasn't able to find a 100% cotton denim style jacket that fit in the RTW and vintage landscape brought this project back to the sewing table.  Yes, there was a period of time that I thought of buying a denim jacket.  I wasn't willing to spend $40 + on something that was ill-fitting.  There are a lot of ill-fitting RTW options out there.  The last RTW jean jacket I tried on has way-too-tight sleeves.  I rather wear something that looks unfinished, sewing bloopers and all.  At least these sleeves have enough room to move in.   

It is missing the front buttons and buttonholes, mainly because I ran low on jean top-stitching thread and with everything going up, I wasn't willing to go into the budget for something that seems like a luxury right now.   

Maybe one day if thread goes on sale, I might splurge and finish the button holes.  But to be completely honest, I never have buttoned up denim jackets.  It would just be a decorative feature.  

Right now, this is perfectly fine for my needs.  As the weather warms up and turns towards spring like weather, this will be perfect under my wool coat.  

Out-of-print (OOP) Butterick 6376, circa 2001, is rated easy.  The pattern is well-drafted and I do like the loose-fitting structure but I won't say that it was an easy project.  It's not about the sewing bloopers along the way, rather the thickness and weight of my denim fabric.  That is what made this a challenging project.  My sewing machine, despite using a Jean-a-ma-Jig®, was challenged by the thickness at some seam points.  

I wouldn't trade this denim fabric for an easier sewing experience.  The fabric is sturdy and exactly what I want in a denim jacket.  It was pretreated prior to cutting.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.8 straight stitch length, 3.5 top-stitching

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.5 metres

Interfacing:  0.7 metres

Pattern:  OOP Butterick 6376

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pattern weights, pins, pin cushions, scissors, tailor chalk, thread clippers, sewing machine, blind hem foot, walking foot, regular presser foot, screw driver, measuring tape, measuring gauge, Jean-a-ma-Jig, threads, serger, iron, ironing board, seam ripper, hand sewing needle, thimble, tailor's wax, cutting board, hammer, awl, buttonhole cutter and a whole lot of procrastination.  

Stay Safe & Keep Sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Agree! Excellent work and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny because when I think of it, I've never buttoned a denim jacket either! Ha!

    Glad you got it finished, it's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...