Tuesday 1 March 2022

DVF Wrap Dress: OOP Vintage Vogue 1610

After sewing my first DVF wrap dress pattern, vintage Vogue 1610, I knew there would be more to come.  I pulled out all the knits that I have in my stash to find pieces that had enough length to turn out this project.   First, I made a couple of adjustments to the pattern.  


Most noticeable, this version has long sleeves.  I appreciate the longer sleeve since it's quite not short sleeve weather in this part of the world just yet.  The other change is shortening the bodice by five-eighths of an inch.  I like where the raised waistline seam sits especially if I wear a slip underneath.  I'll keep this change to the bodice pieces in future versions as it also raises the position of the side pockets to a reasonable height.  This version has pockets and will be keeping that as well.  The hem was sewn as a one inch hem and all the hem edges were stabilized before top-stitching.  

The fabric is a light-weight sweater knit that I completely forgot was in the fabric stash.  No idea on the fibre content, where or when it came into the stash.  It's not a cotton knit, that is for sure.  And it did handle the higher end of the wool setting on the iron.  It could be a wool blend?  Perhaps a burn test might be in order?  A ball point needle did not work well with this knit fabric and I did have to change to stretch needle (Schmetz Stretch 90/14).  

It did handle a pre-treatment with a wash cycle, followed by a tumble in the dryer.  It didn't require a pressing before I cut it out but it certainly is prone to static electricity.  I might have to carry Static Guard when wearing this one.  But I digress... 

I will certainly keep the changes made in this version:  the one inch hem and raised bodice.  There will certainly be future makes with out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 1610.  

Project Details

Seams:  Knit Stitch (Lightning bolt)

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  4 metres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  2 metres

Pattern:  OOP Vogue 1610

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, tailor's chalk, measuring tape, scissors, thread clippers, pin cushions, hand sewing needle, silk thread (for hand sewing), measuring gauge, sewing machine, walking foot, new sewing machine needle, serger, threads, ironing board, iron, seam ripper, tweezers, mini-vacuum (for cleaning machines), screwdrivers and many breaks.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!

1 comment:

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...