Sunday 6 March 2022

National Dress Day

Over the years, I've sewn a lot of dresses.  And I wear them too.  I find them comfortable to wear.  I would rather throw on a dress than pants no matter the weather.  Some have been gifted.  And some have been refashioned into other things.  Here's a look back at the dresses I've sewn over the past year. 

The Eva Dress, Tessutti Patterns

The Eva Dress pattern has been a long time favourite.  It's all about the comfort of a pullover dress that is easy to wear.  And it has pockets.  Gotta love a dress with pockets!  Right now this cotton dress is packed away waiting for warmer temperatures to arrive.  

Little Girl's Shirtdress, OOP McCall's 8548

I first came across McCall's 8548 about a quarter century ago when I made a version of this dress for my niece.  So, it was with an enthusiastic sense of nostalgia that I revisited the pattern.  
 
Sweatshirt fabric made a toasty warm winter-ready dress,
OOP Burda 8848

I do love a turtleneck dress and I really wanted to try this pattern for it's raglan sleeve design.  Of the two versions of this pattern I made, I prefer this one all because of the fabric, it has kept me toasty warm during a bitterly cold winter these past months.  

Wool turtleneck maxi dress, OOP Vogue 8939

Have I mentioned how much I like a turtleneck dress?  I imagine a winter without one.  

Seersucker Girl's shirtdress, OOP McCall's 8548

I couldn't resist to make another wee little dress.  Just the cuteness of it make it worth all the work.  

Box-pleat dress, The Assembly Line

Yeah, sometimes I don't get the fit right and a dress ends up as a reusable grocery bag.  

Is it really a wrap dress?  OOP Vogue 8827

It wasn't the wrap dress that I hoped for and the fabric choice was not a good one.  It was gifted and found another life as a robe.  

Can you have enough turtleneck dresses?  OOP Burda 8848

This version of Burda 8848 goes to demonstrate that fabric choice affects the fit.  This one is made with a cotton knit and fits much looser than the sweatshirt fabric version.  

Or enough wrap dresses?  OOP Vogue 1610

Oh my goodness, I found the perfect wrap dress pattern in Vogue 1610.  No wonder Diane Von Furstenberg's version has propelled to iconic status since it first appeared in the late 20th century.  She nailed the fit.  

Take 2, OOP Vogue 1610

Even though the fit is sublime, I am not of Vogue model height.  I shortened the bodice and played around with the sleeve length.  

Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress meets Mondrian inspired print,
OOP Vogue 1610

And that is how I came to sew my favourite dress of this past year.  Do you have a favourite dress pattern that you like to sew?  

Happy National Dress Day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...