Friday 4 March 2022

The Fabric I Was Too Scared to Cut: Vintage Vogue 1610

I imagine that anyone with a fabric stash has pieces that they are reluctant to cut.  That is what this beautiful Dutch digital cotton knit "Mondrian 2" (#70510), from EmmaOneSock was to me, a too-beautiful-to-cut fabric.  


This cotton / lycra knit entered my collection January 2019.  I knew I wanted to turn it into a dress but struggled to commit it to a pattern.  That was until the DVF wrap dress pattern, vintage Vogue 1610, entered my sewing world.  Once I made the adjustments to the second version, it was time to cut into this fabric.  

I don't know what else to say about this one.  The fabric's print is lovely and the fit on this pattern, out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 1610, is sublime.  I couldn't be happier than I am about this one.  This one has pockets, the bodice was shortened 5/8" and the hem is a one inch top-stitched hem.  Oh and the sleeves were lengthened maybe about a half inch.  


Project Details

Seams:  Lightning bolt / knit stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  3 metres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  2 metres

Pattern:  OOP Vogue 1610

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, tailor's chalk, pin cushions, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, cotton thread (for the sewing machine), walking foot, serger, polyester threads (for the serger), scissors, thread clippers and hand sewing needle.  

Stay Safe & Keep Sewing.  

4 comments:

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...