Tuesday 8 March 2022

In Sewing News Today...

I have often said that I will not see equal pay in my lifetime.  

And today, International Women's Day, is just another example of why.  

✄✄✄✄

I've been asked to sew some alter clothes and table runners for the church.  

Of course, I said, "yes."  

And I was thrilled when the person who asked said they would help me cut the fabric during the initial phone call.  

Today, I found out that meant they would "hold the fabric as I cut."

Oh my gosh!  [insert laughter here]

Gotta laugh at non-sewing folks perception of help.  

I've been dealing with hand swelling and pain so I was hoping for some actual scissor action.  

Foolish me.  

I also asked if it would be okay to sew a rolled hem and the person said, sew whatever hem you like, followed by instructions that it be two layers, turned and pressed.  

Obviously, hem techniques were not part of their vocabulary or understanding.  

Drats!, because I have a really nice rolled hem feature on my serger that would have saved a lot of time.  

This is not going to be as quick of a job as they initially presented it.  

It never is.  

I'm just grateful that the church has the fabric.  

With the price of everything going up lately, I wouldn't want to be shopping for sewing supplies.  

I'll just have to get it measured, cut and get to work sewing the pieces.  

The church would like the ambo and altar cloths done before the end of Lent.  

Not much time.  

✄✄✄✄

In other sewing news...

Did you hear about the new Pfaff sewing machine coming out later this month?  

It's equipped with artificial intelligence (AI) technology.  

It will respond to voice sewing commands.  

Not kidding!  



I hope it understands what a rolled hem is and other sewing techniques.  

You can read more about it here.  

Well, that's all in sewing news today.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I can hear the comments now! Fix the "blankin' tension!!!".

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...