Monday 7 September 2020

New Coat: Butterick 6244

I'm a little late with trying out this pattern. Butterick 6244 was released in 2015, the following year it was voted "Best Pattern of 2016" over at Pattern Review. Oh, and there are over fifty reviews on the site for this little number.  

I have to agree this draped front coat is a pretty sweet pattern. It's almost a perfect pattern. It's missing pockets which was easily corrected by borrowing the side pocket pattern from another coat pattern  (out-of-print Vogue 8934).


The pattern suggests finishing all of the seams with a flat felled seam finish. Although I do like the look of a flat felled seam finish I went with using my serger to finish the seam edges. I did flat fell the center back of the collar since this section would show when worn.  

The serger was utilized for the rolled hemming feature instead of the 5/8" narrow hem suggested in the pattern instructions. I really like how it turned out. 

The fabric is a boiled wool that has been in the stash for many moons. It might look familiar. I used this fabric a few years ago for this project. I actually picked this fabric to test out the pattern and even though I want to revisit this coat pattern in another wool fabric I actually think I will wear this toile often. It makes me happy when this turns out this way.  


Project Details

Seams:  Straight stitch, 2.4 length

Seam Finish:  Interior seams are serged, back collar is finished with a flat felled seam and the hem is finished on the serger.  

Tips:  Experiment with different seam finish options before settling on the suggested finish in the pattern.  

Fabric:  2.4 metres

Interfacing:  0.2 metres of Knit 'N Stable tape

PatternsButterick 6244 and OOP Vogue 8934

Additional Tools & Supplies:  cutting table, pins, pin cushions, measuring tape, scissors, tailor's chalk, iron, ironing board, clapper, thread clippers, sewing machine, serger, walking foot, screw driver and wee break or two.  

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...