Monday 15 January 2024

Book Review: Happy Hats and Cool Caps (and Happy National Hat Day!)

Happy Hats and Cool Caps to Sew for the Whole Family

Authors:  Anne-Mette Hermansen and Tina Elnef

Published:  English Translation 1998 by Lark Books

Original Publication:  Huer Og Hatte Til Born Og Voksne, Borgens Forlag, 1994 (Denmark)

Translator:  Robin Orm Hansen

Editor:  Dawn Cusick

ISBN:  1-57990-026-7 (Paperback) / 1-5799-075-5 (Hardcopy)

This vintage book was found in a second hand book sale and I have to admit that I'm quite thrilled to have stumbled across it.  

Last year I sewed some tuques to donate to those in need of winter protection.  I used The Littlest Studio's free tuque pattern.  And it was mentioned by a member of the church community that the one-size-fits-all tuque pattern didn't really fit all sizes.  There was a request for an assortment of hat sizes.  I'm not going to use that pattern this year when sewing winter gear to be donated.  This year I will be utilizing the patterns found in Happy Hats and Cool Caps.  The book offers kids to adults hat sizes and information on taking your measurements.  

If you look beyond the dated photographs from the 1990s, there are some great options for winter gear within the eighty pages.  As mentioned, there are patterns for wee little people to adult sizes.  And the added bonus, there are patterns for mitts too.  All patterns for the hats and mitts shown in the book are included as pull-out sheets in the back.  

Once I find time to trace out some of the patterns, I will start with sewing mitts and head bands.  Stay tuned.   

Happy National Hat Day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...