Friday 12 January 2024

No More Polyester!

There is a new Fashion Revolution Canada campaign, #NoMorePolyester, starting up.  You can read about it here.  


I have, over the years, made abundantly clear what I think of man-made fibres that are overtaking the aisles of fabric stores and are mixed with natural fibres.  So this challenge is one that I can totally get  behind.  In case you want a recap,
  1. "Polyester is the worst fabric you can buy," according to bodyecology.com and I happen to agree.  Unless you like your fabric decorated by pilling.  
  2. It doesn't keep you warm.  
  3. Greenwashing polyester doesn't make it environmentally better because it's still polyester.  
  4. Polyester and allergies, is there a link?  
I can go on and on, but I won't.  You get the gist, right?  

So since I make my own clothes, I will be tweaking this challenge to reflect my lifestyle and clothing source.  It will be a challenge, there is still some polyester yardage lurking in my fabric stash.  Regardless, I'm going to give it try this year.  So far, all the me-mades this year have been natural fiber fabrics.  So far, things are on the right track.  

Happy Sewing!  


2 comments:

  1. Most of my clothing is natural fibers but the occasional poly may slip in. It's rare but necessary only. I so hesitate to use my skills and time on something I know will pill by the third wash. So hate that. Thanks for the article. I'll read it this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, my preference is natural fibers, it's getting harder to find in the local fabric stores unless I'm willing to wear an all quilting cotton wardrobe. I'm thinking about sewing a silk slip in a way to stay away from man-made fibres. We'll see how that works out. Fingers crossed.

      Delete

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...