Sunday 21 January 2024

International Sweatpants Day: Vogue 8909

I need sweatpants that fit and that is how this pattern, Vogue 8909, ended up on the cutting table.  The timing of this project just happened to fall on International Sweatpants Day.  So, that is how I celebrated, sewing a pair of sweatpants.  

Happy International Sweatpants Day!  



The Pattern 

Vogue 8909 is a new-to-me pattern even though it came out in 2013.  This pattern is listed on the pattern envelope as being "fitted" and "below waist" which are two red flags since I do not typically go for those design elements.  It is the many pattern reviews found online that convinced me to give this pattern a try.  It's a keeper, I'm thrilled with how it turned out.  Several reviewers noted that the pattern runs on the big sizing scale.  I double checked the finished hip measurement and since I didn't want a "fitted" pair of sweatpants, I decided on sewing a size large.  I like the "baggy" look especially with the light weight French terry knit these are sewn in.  

There were some changes to the design.  First, there is no drawstring.  Instead, I put elastic through all three casings.  The height of the waist was raised an inch but since these were cut in a large, I didn't need to do so as these are not sitting at "below waist" level.  I should have raised the crotch length since I went up a size.  An adjustment was made to account for one leg being shorter than the other.  


The Fabric

This is a light-weight French terry knit with some drape.  The fiber breakdown is 67% bamboo, 28% cotton and 5% spandex.  I picked it up for a song from the Fabricland discount section a couple of years ago.  It is the same fabric, different colour, that I used for this top.  And since I like how the fabric has handled over the years with the previous project, I thought it might be a good choice for the sweatpants.  I cut an extra 0.15 cm to allow for shrinkage of the bamboo fiber content which is know to have a shrinkage rate of 6%.  I didn't need to add that much to the recommended yardage since it was a wide yardage and that saved on the length needed.  The fabric was pretreated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before hitting the cutting table.  


Project details

Seams:  Knit stitch (also known as the lightening bolt stitch)

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.6 metres

Elastic:  3 metres


PatternVogue 8909, circa 2013

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, fabric scissors, pins, wrist pin cushion, tailor's chalk, iron, ironing board, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, threads, Janome serger, thread clippers, tweezers, safety pins, many breaks and tea.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...