Sunday 11 December 2022

Sometimes You Just Need a bit of Encouragement to Problem Solve: OOP Vogue 2925

I was pretty keen on sewing out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 2925, circa 1992, when it crossed my cutting table.  I couldn't wait to cut it out. 


And then for a brief time, I gave up thinking it was the wrong pattern choice for my ever evolving body.  


It was a comment from @valerielikestosew on Instagram that encouraged me not to give up.  And it was back to the sewing table to pain-stakingly unpick machine knit stitches that held the elastic in place around the neckline.  It is all thanks to God that I didn't damage the fabric in the process.  It was worth the eye strain, and in the end reducing the length of the elastic to fifteen inches instead of twenty inches made all the difference.  It is no longer too low in the front and loose in the back.  


I didn't mind the peasant blouse vibe that was happening when I tightened the elastic around the neckline.  Thinking I could work with this, I continued.  There were a lot of changes and modifications done to get to the final look.  
  1. I found this pattern in a smaller size combination than I would typically pick up so there was some added ease to the pattern.  
    • Half an inch was added where the armhole and side seam meet.
    • Added an half of an inch to the side sleeve pattern piece at the underarm grading to nothing at the side sleeve dart
    • An inch and a quarter was added to the side seam at the hem edge.  
    • Three quarters of an inch was added to the center front and back at the hem edge and graded to nothing at the center back neckline and the front dot marking for where the stitching ends.  
  2. Removed the side slits.
  3. Shortened the hem six inches.
  4. Omitted the sleeve slits and shortened the sleeve hem to one inch.  
Trying on the top before cutting it short, I thought this would make a cute dress if I lengthened it.  I can't believe I was at this point thinking about the next version before I even worked out the kinks in this one.  Who would have guessed there was a moment of time when I was considering cutting this up for something new.  I am so happy that didn't happen.  


I couldn't be happier with how it fits and turned out.  The fabric is a contributing factor to the final result.  It is a beautiful bamboo French terry fabric that has a sublime feel and look.  I will admit that I was a bit nervous about this fabric since it is made up of 67% bamboo, 28% cotton and 5% spandex and shrinkage would certainly be a given factor.  Bamboo is said to have a shrinkage rate of 6% whereas cotton has a 4% rate.  The fabric was pretreated with a tumble through the washing cycle and time in the dryer.  Just in case any further shrinkage may occur, I'm handwashing and hanging to dry this top now that it is all sewn up.  


Project Details

Seams:  Machine knit stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.6 metres

Elastic:  0.89 centimetres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  1.2 metres

Pattern:  OOP vintage Vogue 2925

Additional Supplies & Tools:  Cutting table, tailor's chalk, pins, clapper and button tins (used as weights), pins, measuring tape, ruler, measuring gauge, iron, ironing board, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, Janome serger, screwdriver, tweezers, scissors, thread clippers, threads, pin cushion, time to think and sleep on it, tea and hot chocolate.  

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...