Saturday 17 December 2022

Stash Busting: Child's Christmas Dress / OOP McCall's 5795

Well, how does that saying go?  "Never say never."   Here I am with something that I said I would never do again.  Yes, Virginia, I sewed another velveteen dress with the same pattern, out-of-print (OOP) McCall's 5795 (available in digital format).  


This time I only sewed the bodice in velveteen, the skirt portion is in a plaid silk fabric.  I was trying to save myself from potentially sewing all those diagonal hand stitches to prevent the velvet from shifting while underneath the presser foot at the sewing machine.  

I took, what I thought would be, a few shortcuts with this one.  Mainly, I was trying to get the most from of my limited sewing time.  Darn Colorado low is passing through these parts and dumping lots of snow.  But I digress...


Instead of lining the bodice, I finished the sleeve and neckline with bias tape that I had in my stash.  But not before I cut bodice pieces out and stitched the darts.  It was a post-cut decision.  I also did not follow the steps laid out in the pattern instructions.  I've sewn a few dresses in my time so I know what techniques I like to use.  


The dress has a twelve inch invisible zipper that I cut down from a twenty-two inch zipper that was recycled.  I'm really please with how the zipper construction turned out.  Basting tape is the secret.  

The velveteen fabric is of a certain vintage.  It's been in the stash for more than a decade, way more.  The plaid silk is likely decades old as well.  I don't have much opportunities to sew fancy fabrics like these so it's nice to have the chance to use them.  I hope this little dress will be well-received.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged and pinked

Fabric:  approximately 2 metres

Seam binding:  1 metre

Zipper:  Upcycled invisible zipper cut to 12"


Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pattern weights (various objects found around the cutting table), pins, measuring tape, ruler, tailor's chalk, Janome sewing machine, Janome serger, walking foot, invisible zipper foot, regular zipper foot, threads, iron, ironing board, plush towel for steam pressing the velveteen pieces, seam ripper, and tea.  

Happy Sewing! 

2 comments:

  1. what an adorable dress. I'm sure the recipient will be thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SewRuthie! I think I was a wee bit more thrilled that it fit and the wee recipient looked absolutely adorable in the pictures wearing the dress.

      Delete

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...