Saturday 24 December 2022

Favourite Makes of 2022

It's hard to believe that the end of the year is fast approaching.  Well, since this is the last day of Advent and Christmas will soon be here I thought I would start recapping some of my favourite makes, sewing bloopers, reflections and goals.  Let's start with the projects that made me smile along the way.  Here is my top ten favorite sewing projects for 2022, in no particular order.  If was tough to narrow it down but I think this sums it up.  

1.  Cotton tweed pants.  

These pull-on pants, Vogue 9246, made it to the favourite list because of how comfortable and easy they are to wear.  I'm at that stage in life that I'm asking myself, do I really want zippers on my pants?  The answer is no.  (These pants were first made in September, followed by a retry on the sizing in October.) 


2.  Wool cardigan sweater.  


This cardigan sweater made it to the favourite list for so many reasons.  First, OOP Kwik Sew 4192 is a great pattern and it's well drafted and I like the fit.  The second reason is the fabric, a wool knit that keeps me warm during the winter.  This is a rare find now-a-days, the man-made fibres found in most of the knits at the fabric store are not worth the money if you're looking for something to actually keep you warm.  I'm truly blessed to have this fabric, this was a dead stock purchase for ninety-nine cents many moons ago.  And the third reason is the machine rolled hem worked out so well on this project.  I actually make two this year, one was gifted.  (First one was made in May, followed by the second one in November.)


3.  A Cotton Top.  


Of course, a Tilton design, OOP Butterick 5891 made it to the list!  I am a fan of the Tilton sister's designs.  The second reason this project made it onto this year's favourite list is the fabric.  When I came across a piece of this fabric and discovered that there was enough to recreate another version of one of my favourite tops, it seemed like a no-brainer.  (This top was made in April.)


4.  Wool Socks Rock!  


Seriously, is there anything more cozy and toasty than wool socks?  Need I say more?  (So many socks were made during the month of March.)



5.  Patchwork pajama bottoms.  


This may be my favourite scrap-busting project of all time.  I'm not a quilter but this might be the closest that I come to that branch of sewing.  The patchwork pieces were used to make a pair of pajama bottoms.  And they are comfortable for the win.  (These patchwork pajama bottoms were made in February.)  


6.  Knit Shorts.  


These shorts were made with vintage Vogue 2092, a DKNY pattern that I have been after for so long.  I once had a copy of this pattern and made a pair of shorts and a couple of wrap tops.  It was a much loved and used pattern.  The copy I had wouldn't fit me today, so I was happy to come across this pattern again in my current size.  (These shorts were made in July.)


7.  Wool pull-on pants.  


These wool pants are made with OOP Butterick 6717, and a burgundy colour wool that has been in the stash for a very long time.  They worked well together and these are toasty warm for the winter.  (These pants were made last month.)


8.  French Terry Pull-over top.
  

It is the fabric that makes this item a favourite make.  I can't believe that for a moment of time, I almost considered giving up on this project.  The pattern is a long-sought after OOP Vogue 2925, a Betty Jackson design.  (This top was made earlier this month.)


9.  DVF Wrap Dress 


It's been years that I dreamed of sewing this iconic DVF Vogue designer wrap dress pattern.  And even though I made a few copies of this pattern, this one is my favourite because of the fabric.  (This version of the DVF wrap dress was made in March.)

10.  Child's Dress  


This little dress, OOP McCall's 5795, made it to the favourite list because it actually did not break me.  Not kidding.  Sewing velvet and velveteen was a challenge in the past but this time, even though I did have to break out the seam ripper, it all turned out.  And check out the matching on the plaid!  It just made me so happy to be able to gift this dress.  (This project was sewn this month.)

Happy Sewing!  And Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...