Monday 26 December 2022

The Sewing Oops & Blooper List of 2022

1.  Pullover sweater.  

This project made it to the sewing mistake list because of the fabric, it's a polyester.  The pattern, out-of-print (OOP) Simplicity 8529, is a keeper.  The polyester was a failure on so many levels.  It didn't hold up during the first wash and came out with more drape.  And it's only a couple of months old and has been worn a few times so why is it already starting to pill?  Oh yeah, it's a polyester.  That's what polyester does.   This sewing blooper was made in November.  


2.  The slip.  

This project would be perfect if I worked with the stretch!  What was I thinking?  I should have cut this on the cross grain.  This sewing blooper happened in November. 


3.  The Collarless Pajama Top


Yes, I actually forgot to sew the collar.  It really wasn't an intended design feature.  This sewing blooper appeared in October.  


4.  Way-too-big Pants


It took two tries to get the size right on Vogue 9246.  This gigantic sewing blooper happened in September.  


5.  The Tweed Coat


Funny how I love this pattern made up in the boiled wool fabric.  But this cotton tweed was just too lightweight and frumpy for a coat.  I haven't worn it out once since making it in September.  


6.  The Yellow Top


My first attempt at recreating a favourite RTW t-shirt was way too tight and never made it into the wearable pile.  I made this in September.  


7.  Pull-on pants.  


This was another attempt at copying a RTW item.  It was a fail because of the fabric.  Even though I did try to wear this a couple of times, it just didn't feel comfortable at all.  This sewing project happened in July.  


8.  The Jean Jacket


I never finished this project but that didn't stop me from wearing it out in public for a short time until a secondhand jacket replaced it.  There were so many sewing bloopers with this one, even the sleeves that were shortened ended up being too long.  I tried to make this denim jacket in March.  


9.  Denim Pants.  


This project makes it to the mistake list because of the poor fabric choice that I made.  The black denim was too stiff for this project.  This sewing blooper occurred in August.  


10.  The Llama print DVF Wrap Dress


This version of the DVF wrap dress, vintage Vogue 1610, and I have not parted ways.  It is still part of my me-made wardrobe and I do like it.  But oh my, the sewing bloopers did not escape this project!  And I should have know better because this was not the first go at this pattern.  In the end, I had to abandon the side pockets, one of the design features that I adore.  Sewing bloopers plagued this project back in July.  

Happy Sewing!  
And Happy Boxing Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...