Sunday 25 December 2022

Sewing With the Spirit of Christmas

Pope Francis in his Christmas Eve message urged "people to 'abandon the warmth of worldliness' and 'rediscover the meaning of Christmas' in the face of 'consumerism', advocating for a Church that serves the poor."  

In 2022, I did not do a lot of sewing to serve others as I had during the pandemic lockdown years.  Sure there was some charity and gift sewing done this year.  It just didn't seem like it was as intentional and focused as before.  


In the beginning of the year, I made more face masks that were gifted.  As harassments increased towards those who continued to wear face masks the number of face mask requests fell.  As did mask mandates put in place by provincial and federal governments.  

It wasn't until later in the year that I picked up another charity project, called upon by my church community.  It was a call for knitters to make hats, mitts and scarves.  God did not bless me with the talent and skill to knit these items but I was able to sew some hats that were gifted.  

Coming up in 2023, I would like to be more mindful in my sewing projects for others and keep sewing with the spirit of Christmas throughout the year.  

Source:  BackpacksUSA

I'm thinking that maybe I will start with sewing some women's underwear.  I have a trusted panties pattern, Simplicity 8229, and all the sizes are still in the pattern.  First, I should check the stash for the supplies.  

Happy Sewing!  And Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...