Friday 2 December 2022

Stash busting: Asymmetrical T-shirt / Copying RTW with OOP Vogue 9057 / Reissued as Vogue 1733

Back in August, there was an attempt to recreate a copy of a favourite ready-to-wear (RTW) t-shirtIt didn't work.  I have hope that it will.  It is the first week of Advent after all.  

This time around I used the pattern pieces from OOP Vogue 9057 (view A), circa 2014.  But don't worry about reading a review for an out-of-print pattern, it has been reissued as Vogue 1733.  I'm so close to having the perfect recreation of the En Thread t-shirt that I enjoy wearing.  So close.  

I laid out my pattern pieces and then laid out my RTW t-shirt to chalk outline the changes I wanted to add.  The one thing that I forgot to do to my Vogue pattern is to add an inch at the neckline.  Right now my bra straps show, that is how wide the neckline opening is on me.  Most of the other versions (there have been many) have the addition to the neckline and it works.  So, so, close.  Of course, I will give this one more try.  

The fabric has been in the stash for many years.  It is a cotton knit.  It wasn't pre-treated, if I'm not mistaken.  If I do wash it and it does shrink, I will still be able to wear it.  It has that much ease.  

UPDATE:  I was thinking about the neckline and decided to try and fix the width issue by taking it in at the center back and it worked.  It is a much nicer fit around the neckline.  On another shirt I will remember to make the changes before cutting it out.  I will add an inch in the front and taper to a half inch in the centre back along the neckline. 


Project Details

Seams:  Knit stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2 metres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  1 metre


Pattern
:  Vogue 9057 / Vogue 1733

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, tin of buttons (used as a pattern weight), clapper (also used as a weight), scissors, pins, pin cushion, tailor's chalk, Janome serger, tweezers, screwdriver, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, iron, ironing board and tea.  

Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...