Sunday 28 August 2022

Stash busting: T-shirt / OOP Vogue 8582

What do you do when you are almost finished sewing a project and realize that it is not a perfect fit?  Do you finish it?  Take it apart and try to recycle the fabric?  Do you toss it?  Or do you finish it and donate it in hopes that it find is forever home?  


Out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 8582 is a Marcy Tilton design that is similar to a ready-to-wear (RTW) en THREAD brand t-shirt I have in my closet.  

This RTW t-shirt is so comfortable to wear and it's a cotton knit, love that.  Comfort is king now-a-days.  It is the asymmetrical hem that drew me to both the t-shirt and the Marcy Tilton pattern.  I thought that I could recreate and fill my closet with this style of t-shirt.  

I'm not quite there yet.  


It's finished and off the sewing machine.  I'm going to keep it.  It will be something that I'll wear around the house.  I'm not sure if I want to wear it out in public unless I loose some weight.  

The me-made version is a little snug.  You can see the curvature in my spine, the mid-section bulges and the fabric pulls across my bust in a way that I do not feel comfortable.  If I were to rate the me-made version on comfort, it's a big fat fail.  

Yup, that's F.A.I.L.  

First attempt in learning.  

It's not the pattern's fault.  It's a lovely pattern if you like the fitted look and have the body or a pair of Spanx shapewear to pull it off.  I have neither.  

This is a well-drafted pattern and the pieces came together beautifully.  The size 14 pattern did not have as much ease as the size small RTW t-shirt.  I can work on that.  What I do like is the sleeve pattern and how well the shoulder fits.  That was a big win.  

There were a few changes.  I shortened the length by three inches.  The hem on the sleeves are designed to be unfinished.  On this top, the sleeves have a one inch hem.  The neckband has a twisted design but I went with a plain neckband finish.  The hem was finished with a machine rolled hem achieved with the help of the Janome serger.  Oh, and that drape, I moved it to the left side.  

The next go at recreating this RTW t-shirt I might do a merger of Vogue 8582 and Vogue 1733 to try and get the ease around my mid-section to my desired comfort level.  Or, I can paper trace the shape of the RTW t-shirt.  We'll see.  I did notice that the RTW top has the extended piece start higher up than on the Vogue pattern.  Something to consider changing on the next one.  

The fabric is a cotton knit that has been in the stash for a few years.  This was picked up with a t-shirt project in mind but fell into one-day-I'll-get-around-to-it pile.  I didn't have OOP Vogue 8582 in mind for this fabric at that time, just thoughts of a basic t-shirt to wear under a jumper.  The pattern is a recent find and with the stash busting contest as motivation, plans changed.  

The fabric was pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer.  And it shrunk quite a bit.  If I didn't shorten the length, there wouldn't have been enough yardage to cut out this project. 


Project Details

Seams:  Knit stitch / lightening bolt stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.5 metres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  0.5 metres

Pattern:  OOP Vogue 8582, Marcy Tilton Design

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, measuring tape, scissors, pins, pin cushion, measuring gauge, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, Janome serger, screwdriver, threads, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, Fray Check and tea.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...