Thursday 18 August 2022

Stash Busting: Art Full Scarf

If it weren't for the Pattern Review Stash Busting contest on right now, I might not have dragged this fabric out of the stash yet.  I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, it's been in the stash for around twenty years.  I picked up 2 metres of it on a trip to Toronto.  There were once plans to use it as an overlay piece for a dress.  And then incorporate it into a pullover top.  It just sat there while ideas floated around as to what it should become.  I really like the print and wanted to showcase it some how.  


In all honesty, turning it into a scarf is the most practical thing.  I first thought to sew the ends closed and the stitching didn't quite look good.  Because of the fraying it would be best to work with a French seam and the sheer polyester fabric was a bit challenging.  So after a length of stitching, the seam ripper came out and I turned to my Janome serger for some help on this one.  


I removed one of the needles, adjusted some dials and got to work on a roll hem.  Everything was going perfect until I tried to trim one end with the serger.  


My sweet Janome was not having anything to do with that plan when some excess width got caught in the bottom needles.  Luckily, I was able to cut into the tangled mess and set the almost completed scarf on the cutting table for some trimming before finishing up this what should have been an easy peasy, done-in-no-time project.  The corner tails on the rolled hem were trimmed down and given a dab of Fray Check to prevent unraveling.  


Project Details

Seams:  None

Seam Finish:  Rolled hem

Fabric:  2 metres

Pattern:  None

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, thread clippers, Janome sewing machine, seam ripper, screwdriver, Janome serger and a good kick in the pants from Pattern Review to stash bust this one.  

Happy Sewing!




2 comments:

  1. WOW ... Nice scarf and I LOVE the fabric ... FIESTA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous scarf. I would have been tempted to fringe those two opposing ends. You did a great job getting finished beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Wool Winter Coat: OOP Vogue 8934

I know it's officially spring and we didn't even feel like we experienced a winter here this year.  And yet I've been busy sewin...