Wednesday 31 August 2022

August in Review...

Sewing

This month I didn't sew anything that I planned to sew a month ago.  The birthday caftan that I thought about sewing did not materialize.  The black denim that I was thinking about sewing a denim jacket with became a pair of culottes.  And it proved to be the wrong fabric choice for the project.  Frugality played a part in sewing a cell phone protector.  Little girl dresses were part of gift sewing projects.  And then my sewing direction took a turn into some serious stash busting territory after Pattern Review announced their stash busting contest.  


Stash busting

All of the projects sewing were made with fabric and supplies found in the stash.  There were 15.3 metres of fabric, 5 spools of thread, 9 metres of trim, 1 metre of elastic, 1 cord stopper, 1 button, 1 zipper and 0.5 metres of Knit 'N Stable tape stash busted this month.  

I'm so grateful that I decided to join the Stash busting contest at Pattern Review.  Once I started with a fabric, it seemed easier to match it with a pattern or project.  It feels wonderful to use these sometimes overlooked pieces and transform them into objects that can be used or gifted.  It feels good.  I won't win any prizes for most yardage used, I'm not as fast as some of the others who have entered the contest.  But I do feel like a winner for finally using the fabric for the scarf and that denim for the grocery bags that have been in the stash for way-too-long.  My goal is to at least empty one bin by the end of the contest.  

What's Next?  

I'm just going to keep sewing.  I have that tweed fabric I wrote about this month at the foot of my cutting table.  My focus is to use the oldest fabrics that have often been overlooked over the years.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your stash busting projects. I'm playing along too, but who can beat the gal who makes a new knit top every day with over 2 yards fabric (mine never take that much but hey ho)! Oops sorry back to stash busting and playing nice !

    ReplyDelete

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...