Sunday 7 January 2024

Flannel Pajamas: OOP Vogue 9217 and Butterick 6296

Another winter's arrival along with thoughts of sewing another pair of flannel pajamas.  This new pair will replace this one that recently became drying rags for my automobile.  Once again, I turned to true and tried (TNT) patterns to make this set, out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 9217 for the pajama bottoms and Butterick 6296 for the top. 



The Patterns


The pajama top, Butterick 6296, was cut in the shorter length with the front pockets near the front hemline.  I would like to say that it went together without a hitch especially after sewing a few versions in the past, but I can't.  I did sew seam binding to the edge of the front facing before I applied the fusible interfacing.  And there was the mistake from back in October when this project was originally cut.  I accidently cut the wrong cuff pattern piece.  Oops!  Thankfully, there was enough fabric to recut these pieces.  


I made an extended back facing piece and finished the facing edges with seam binding.  The sleeves were shortened and other than that, no other changes were made.  The buttons are vintage and sourced from the stash.  


The pajama bottoms, out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 9217, are not an actual pajama pattern.  They are a pull-on, elastic waisted pants pattern that are comfortable and that's all that counts when it comes to sleepwear.  The pattern has a dolphin hem that was changed to a full length leg and adjusted to fit my petite height.   Since there are two front pockets on the pajama top, pockets on the pants were omitted on this pair.  

The Fabric

This is the Ojibway Floral fabric designed by local Canadian artist Jackie Traverse.   It was a lovely surprise to find that Marshall Fabrics is carrying her fabrics.  This is a 100% cotton flannel.  It's soft and full of joyful colours.  And there are other Jackie Traverse fabrics and prints to be found at Marshall Fabrics in quilting cotton and satin.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 -- 2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  5 metres of 109 cm wide flannel

Interfacing:  1 metre

Buttons:  4 recycled buttons


Patterns:  OOP Vogue 9217 and Butterick 6296

Label:  1 - KATM "BESPOKE" label

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, measuring tape, pins, pin cushion, tailor's chalk, fabric scissors, Janome sewing machine, cotton thread, walking foot, buttonhole foot, buttonhole cutter, cutting board, thread clippers, hand sewing needle, tailor's wax, Janome serger, polyester serger threads, seam ripper, iron, ironing board and tea .  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...