Saturday 20 November 2021

Toasty Sweatshirt Fabric Dress: OOP Burda 8848

There is nothing like all the snow that fell the last week or so to make one think of up-ing their winter wardrobe.  That is how this sweatshirt dress came to be.  It's made with out-of-print (OOP) Burda 8848.  


I've been smitten at the thought of wearing a toasty sweatshirt fabric dress for quite awhile but I just couldn't quite settle on a pattern.  This pattern, OOP Burda 8848, has been sitting in my pattern stash since September 2019.  


I don't know why I've overlooked this pattern for so long.  I picked it up for the turtleneck and raglan sleeves.  I stalled at making it because of my previous fitting fails with Burda patterns.  It didn't help with reading comments over at Pattern Review about the snug fit of this dress pattern.  Although, I do greatly appreciate reading the reviews!  



So, I was careful with this one.  I used the grading measurements that I use with OOP Vogue 8939 to achieve a less-than-snug fit around my hips.  And I'm really happy with how it turned out.  


My favourite design feature is that the collar has a zipper that runs down the side and can be left zipped up for a turtleneck style or open for a draped collar effect.  And I really appreciate the fit around the shoulders.  The red zipper that I found in the stash was shorter than called for on the pattern.  Even though I am able to get this over my head, I wouldn't mind the additional room that the proper sized zipper would provide.  C'est la vie.  

Other than grading the side seams according to my TNT Vogue 8939 pattern, I shortened the sleeves and hem.  There is no side slit on this version since it was shortened to the point that it wasn't needed.  

Now let's talk about the fabric.  At today's prices, a sweatshirt fabric dress would be a out-of-reach dream.  Have you seen the price of cotton sweatshirt fabric lately?  Yeah, it wouldn't happen.  But I happened to find this fabric for less than a song because it was a damaged bolt.  


The fabric has been in my stash longer than the pattern.  It took some creative pattern piece placement but I was able to sew this dress, a cardigan and child's top with this fabric without any evidence that it was damaged on the bolt.  Goodness, I'm over-the-moon grateful.  


Project Details

Seams:  Lightning bolt / knit stitch

Seam allowances:  Serged

Fabric:  3 metres

Zipper:  20 cm invisible zipper

Basting tape:  0.40 cm

Pattern:  OOP Burda 8848

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, scissors, thread clippers, tailor's chalk, pin cushions, iron, ironing board, clapper, sewing machine, walking foot, invisible zipper foot, regular zipper foot, screw driver, measuring tape, measuring gauge, serger, threads, some extra time researching pattern reviews and tea.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...