Saturday 27 November 2021

Holiday Gift Ideas #3: Microwave Cozies

I recently received a request for eight microwave cozies for Christmas gift-giving.  I probably would have turned down the sewing project if I didn't already have six of the eight already sewn and ready to ship.  I could handle the last two to fill the order since I had the supplies on hand.  

The last two that I need to sew are a polar bear print on one side and blue linen on the other side.  

It's nice to use up these fabric pieces into something someone wants.  I stopped sewing cozies awhile ago when sales slowed.  So, I was surprised to get this request.  

They're easy to sew.  The batting is quilted to each fabric piece using a grid pattern.  


Then a circular shape is chalked onto the center of each fabric and batting layers.  I mark a dot where the center topstitching and the circular chalk marking meet.  This is where I end the darts.  They are one inch wide at the edge and taper to the marking.  Right sides together stitch the pieces together leaving an opening to turn over.  Top-stitch the edge closing off the opening.  The circular chalk markings are then used as a guide to topstitch the bottom of the cozies.  I do use a heavy duty vintage Brother sewing machine that is built like a tank and weighs about that much too!  With two layers of microwave safe batting, my Janome machine doesn't handle the thickness all that well.  

One down, one more to sew.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wool Winter Coat: OOP Vogue 8934

I know it's officially spring and we didn't even feel like we experienced a winter here this year.  And yet I've been busy sewin...