Sunday 14 November 2021

Wool Knit Turtleneck Dress: OOP Vogue 8939

Is there anything better than a wool knit turtleneck dress as part of one's winter wardrobe?  I'm going to have to argue no.  

This dress is created with tried and trusted, out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 8939.  I kept the same changes I made to the last version, shortened the sleeve length, lengthened the hemline, and graded out to a larger size in the hip area.  

The fabric just makes me happy.  First, I really like the colour.  Yes, I've changed.  Second, it's a wool knit.  Toasty!  And third I picked it up as dead stock many moons ago for next to a song.  It is an absolute pleasure to sew.  I did learn a lesson from the first item I made with this fabric.  It's wool so it did shrink.  I pre-washed the fabric, this time before it hit the cutting table.  Most of the shrinkage was in the width so I had to be careful with the pattern piece placement.  The back was cut with a centre back seam as the pattern intended but unlike the other versions I've made where the front and back were cut on the fold.  

I don't know what else to say about my new dress other than I'm tickled pink with it.  


Project Details

Seams:  Lightning bolt (knit stitch)

Seam Finish:  Serged

Fabric:  3 metres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  2 metres

Sewing Machine Needle:  Ball point

Pattern:  OOP Vogue 8939

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, tailor's chalk, measuring tape, measuring gauge, seam ripper, sewing machine, walking foot, iron, ironing board, screw driver, serger, threads, thread clippers and tea.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Great classic and awesome pattern. Everything came together on this one.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...