Sunday 7 November 2021

Do I Need a Fancy Wrap Dress?: OOP Vogue 8827

At times I struggled sewing this project, out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 8827.  I jumped back and forth questioning whether or not I really need a fancy wrap dress.  The honest answer is no.  We're in the forth wave of a global pandemic which certainly doesn't provide an abundance of occasions for the need of a fancy dress.  



Advent is starting later this month and I guess I could put it away and save it as something to wear to church on Christmas morning.  That is a big IF.   Covid case numbers are rising, especially in the southern region of the province, close proximity to the city.  And with the Delta variant present and more transmittable, I suspect by Christmas we might be in another lockdown situation.  I might be in need of a festive pair of flannel pajamas instead.  We'll see.  


To be honest, I just wanted to use this pattern, OOP Vogue 8827.  I picked it up over at Etsy, back in April of this year, in my quest to find a comfortable wrap dress pattern.  I've made several over the years (none have survived closet edits over the years) but yet I'm still on this quest.  I was drawn to OOP Vogue 8827 for a few reasons.  First, I liked the "very loose fitting" description as I'm still struggling to get myself to a healthy weight.  I also like that it doesn't have a waistline seam.  

This pattern is certainly a keeper just on the basis of fit and comfort of the sleeves.  I feel like I'm wearing a comfortable robe.  Ohhh, maybe it can be my fancy Christmas robe?  I like the neckline variations and sleeve length options.  The missing pocket issue is an easy fix.  It's also an addition that I didn't do based on the fabric choice.  


I didn't add ties to the interior of the dress.  I'm kind of debating if I want to keep it as a wrap dress, wear it as a long cardigan or maybe even put snaps down the front and change it to a loose fitting front button dress.  I'll have to sleep on it.  Needless to say, this project has certainly been making me question and doubt my decisions all along the way and right to the end.  


The fabric is a polyester knit from Northwest Fabrics.  Yup, I just typed those words, "polyester knit".  In recent years, I've been trying to move away from man-made fabrics but there are a few pieces remaining in the stash.  This is one of them.  I held on to them to use as toile fabrics instead of cutting into the more expensive natural fibre knits.  

I didn't pretreat this fabric, polyester doesn't typically shrink and it is a loose-fitting garment so I think I'm okay.  

I didn't have enough fabric to cut out the tie belt pattern piece and actually thought about sewing a black Obi style belt instead.  None of my current belts fit but I did have part of a handbag strap that I made do as a belt for the on body photo shot.  

I don't know how or where this dress / cardigan / robe (?) will end up.  Time will tell.  For now, all I know is that I'm going to consider it done and move on.  


Project Details

Seams:  Lightning bolt stitch was used throughout.  

Seam Finish:  Serged.

Fabric:  2.4 metres 

Pattern:  OOP Vogue 8827

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, tailor's chalk, pins, pin cushions, measuring tape, rulers, measuring gauge, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, tweezers, mini vacuum, threads and indecision.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!


1 comment:

  1. I'd end up wearing it as a long cardigan over a black dress myself!

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...