Wednesday 1 September 2021

National Sewing Month: Traditional Sewing Techniques and New Sewing Traditions

 


This year's theme is focused on sewists "becoming frontline supporters, creating masks and other protective equipment ... driving a resurgence in the art of sewing."

Personally, I find this theme so last year.  Sorry folks at the National Sewing Month organization.  I was one of those "frontline supporters" back in 2020, at the beginning of the pandemic.  It all started with sewing face masks when stores were charging an insane price for disposable masks and disposable gloves.  And then I started sewing face masks for family and friends when the great elastic shortage of 2020 took hold and alternates for elastic were sought.  What a journey in sourcing needed materials!  And who would of ever imagine that a limit would be placed on elastic?   

And then during lockdown while watching too much news on rising Covid case numbers and listening to stories of hospital workers being overwhelmed, I turned to sewing scrub caps for a nurse friend and her colleagues.  It became a way to feel like I was helping out and it was a project that I could use up small remnants of fabric that I had left over from other projects.  

I don't know if my sewing this year became part of the movement that was "driving a resurgence in the art of sewing," that honestly feels like a bit of a stretch.  For me personally, this year's theme is more about making do and refashioning clothes that I grew out of, damn pandemic pounds.  And being more resourceful with the rising cost of sewing supplies EVERYTHING.   

That's it!  Being more resourceful and mindful in my sewing is my "new sewing tradition."  Hello sustainable sewing!  

Happy National Sewing Month!  

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. It is not masks this year for sure. If I had a dollar for every sewist who was depressed and demoralized, stuck inside, sewing masks, self included, I would be rich and buying fabric. I do think to add to your list that people are tired of being in sweats and comfort clothes. Their reign is over. I think they are looking for prettier, nicer clothing. Unfortunately with the Delta variant, there really is no big social life needing pretty new clothing so here we sit. I can't wait to make a nice dress to wear to a nice event.

    ReplyDelete

Wool Winter Coat: OOP Vogue 8934

I know it's officially spring and we didn't even feel like we experienced a winter here this year.  And yet I've been busy sewin...