Sunday 11 July 2021

Rescue Sewing: Adding a Ruffle to McCall's 7630

In a short span of three years I managed to outgrow this top thanks to pandemic pounds and my sweet tooth.  It still fits in the sleeves and bust area.  It was the hem line that became a little too snug for comfort.  


I had three options, put it in the donate pile, exercise like I've never exercised before, or diet.  Or I could try to save it.  Considering that this top is made out of raw silk it would hurt to part with it.  Luckily, I had left over fabric from the original project.  

The original hemline was straightened and then an additional inch and a half was removed.  I cut a ten inch wide length and went to work gathering.  


The length of the gathered piece was then shortened by two inches, serged and finished with a rolled hem.  Funny thing, I still fit into the vintage lemon print skirt that I originally made this top for, weird eh?  I'm thankful that I can still get at least another summer from the outfit.  

There is one more McCall's 7630 raw silk top that can use some rescuing.  

Happy Sewing!  

2 comments:

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...