Tuesday 27 July 2021

New Flannel Pajama Set: Butterick 6296 and OOP Vogue 9217

Continuing on the theme of mending and practical sewing, it has become apparent that I will soon need to repair and replace some pieces.  My current favourite flannel pajama set is starting to fall apart.  The fabric is tearing at stress points near the pockets and a big hole is found in the waistband on the pajama bottoms.   I'm going to mend them, of course, and try to extend the life of them as long as I can.  But I think it's time to consider a back-up pair of flannel sleepwear before winter arrives.  


The pajama set is created with my go-to patterns, Butterick 6296 for the top and out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 9217 for the bottoms.  For the top, I omitted the chest pocket, piping and shortened the sleeve length.  And I cut out an extended back facing.  And I added an additional button to the four suggested on the pattern.  The pants were lengthened and the curved hemline was straightened along with the additional ease added to the sides.  

I almost switched pajama top patterns to OOP McCall's 3445 when I couldn't find the pattern pieces in the proper pattern envelope.  I found the missing pattern pieces in the Vogue pattern while doing a mad search of the sewing space.  It made me realize how much I would miss this pattern if I truly lost any of the pieces.  It really is a keeper.  


Before cutting into the flannel, the fabric was pre-treated to prevent any post-sewing shrinkage.  A tumble through the wash cycle, some time in the dryer, followed by a steam pressing at the ironing board.   

I picked up this flannel at Northwest / Marshall Fabrics and I can say that it doesn't feel anywhere near as strong as the flannel pajamas they will be replacing.  I feel a connection to the grandmother in Gabrielle Roy's novel The Road Past Altamont when I think this about the cloth I'm sewing.  It's the fun colourful print, not the strength of the flannel that seduced me in choosing this flannel.  

Nothing difficult about sewing this project.  It's something that would be a great beginner project because both patterns are well-drafted and come together without any problems.  The instructions in these patterns are well written and illustrated.  

The buttons and the one inch wide elastic are recycled from other garments.  Oh goodness, I really do feel like that grandma character in Roy's novel!  It must be a Canadian prairie gal thing.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch length

Seam Finishes:  Interior seams are finished on the serger.  Hems were machine top-stitched in place.  

Fabric:  5.2 metres

Interfacing:  1 metre (fusible)

Buttons:  5 recycled buttons

Elastic:   0.8 metres

Patterns:  Butterick 6296 and OOP Vogue 9217

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, measuring tape, tailor's chalk, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, water, clapper, hand sewing needle, tweezers, sewing machine, buttonhole foot, regular foot, serger, threads for the machines and hand stitching, hand sewing needle, cutting board, buttonhole cutter, tailor's wax, safety pins and coffee.    

Happy Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...