Monday 20 April 2020

Special Request: Scrub Caps

I'm making these scrub caps for a dear friend working as a nurse in an Ontario hospital. She sent me this pattern along with the request. 



I not a fan of the war metaphors found in the website along with all the protests across the border surrounding the pandemic. It's even spilled over here with conservative politicians criticizing medical professionals and the World Health Organization (WHO). I'm of the view that war metaphors and hearsay is not helpful. This is not a war crisis, I see this as a humanitarian crisis. When war rhetoric is used in regards to this crisis, it invites an us against them mentality. The world can use a huge dose of kindness and respect to all of the world's scientists, researchers and health care professionals if we're going to get through this and beyond. These caps are my kindness contribution as I mute out any war rhetoric that is broadcasted from the television set, radio and online. I don't need that when I'm sewing. That type of rhetoric does not motivate me to do random acts of kindness. I don't see how it could motivate anyone. Okay, jumping off my soap box.  

The pattern is quite good after you make sure the scaling is true. I found that it didn't print as per scale no matter how set the scale box for printing. So, I would certainly recommend making the necessary adjustments before you cut out the pattern. There should be noted that there are no notches included on this pattern, instead you're instructed to find the centres and mark those before sewing.  There is a marking for where you should roughly start sewing on the ties. I will say that after sewing the first one the pattern appears to be well graded.  

The fabric is a Japanese cotton that I found at Northwest / Marshall's many moons ago. It was pretreated with a tumble through the washer and dryer before hitting the cutting table.

Well, on that note I should get back to sewing the remaining four scrub caps and get this into the mail.  


The Stats

Fabric:  5.5 meters (for 5 caps)

PatternFree PDF pattern

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Iron, ironing board, cutting table, pins, pin cushions, tailor's chalk, scissors, thread clippers, sewing machine, walking foot, thread, screwdriver, tweezers, printer, paper, measuring tape, measuring gauge, curve ruler, L-shaped ruler, pencil and copious amounts of coffee while I tried to fit the sizing / gauge on the printed PDF file (proceed with caution).  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that kindness should be what we follow right now.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...