Sunday 19 April 2020

Nightgown: OOP Butterick 5517

Vintage and out-of-print (OOP) Butterick 5517 is not a nightgown pattern, it's a dress pattern. What makes it a nightgown is my desire to wear it as one and perhaps my t-shirt weight cotton knit fabric.   


It's the simple design, raised waistline and pockets that lead me down this path. There were a few minor changes to the pattern. The skirt was raised one inch near the raised waistline so that the pockets would sit higher. On this pattern the pockets are cut as one with the skirt portion. The hemline was lengthen two inches. This makes it a full length nightgown. Yes, I'm that short. The bodice is lined with the same fashion fabric to give it more support as a nightgown. And it works for me.

I really like this pattern, it's a keeper. Even though it is a simple design, this one is all about the fit. I am thrilled where the cap of the sleeve fits. I did omit the elastic casing at the raised waistline as I really wasn't going for a snug fit there.


The fabric is a cotton knit that I found in the discount section at Fabricland a couple of years ago. When I picked up this fabric, sleepwear was the further thought from my mind. I don't know why, it's so comfortable. The fabric was pretreated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before hitting the cutting table.  


The Stats

Fabric:  3.5 metres

Pattern:  OOP Butterick 5517

Interfacing:  1.80 metres Knit 'N Stable tape

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, tailor's chalk, measuring tape, measuring gauge, pins, pin cushions, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, tweezers, threads, thread clippers, and coffee.

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a very comfortable night gown. Soft cotton knit is always a good choice for sleepwear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore this last night and yes, it is very comfortable. I think I might have to revisit this fabric for sleepwear again.

      Delete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...