Saturday 11 April 2020

In Sewing News Today...

There has been more face mask sewing.


The text on this one reads, "THIS IS AN ACT OF LOVE." It refers to the recent medical advice not to use a face mask with the thought that it makes you invincible rather that you will be protecting others more than yourself.  


On one mask to be worn by someone who wears glasses I switched to twill tape instead of bias tape used on the very first model.  I thought this would provide more cushion between the wire.  


Yesterday, during a shocking look at Canadian models Dr. Tam, Canada's Medical Officier borrowed a quote from Felix J. Palma's 2008 novel, The Map of Time
We are the authors of our own fate--we write it each day with every one of our actions. ~Felix J. Palma
I thought the original quote was more suited but this edited version from Dr. Tam is embedded in our collective recent memory as a call to action.


This couple (Men's and Ladies) set is made in a black 100% cotton denim and lined with a 100% cotton shirting fabric.



And there was one more Alice Cooper inspired face mask in the mix.

I still have more face masks to make as a friend asked me to make nine for her family. Unlike these ones, I won't personalize them. I just want to get them out in the post as soon as possible. It's my pleasure as spending my free time sewing face masks makes me feel like I'm doing something helpful. There seems to be a lot of people doing the same.  I will probably keep sewing until I run out of supplies.

Talking about supplies, along with flour and yeast at the grocery stores, there are local reports that there is a fabric store shortage of elastic used for face masks. Do you find this in your community as well?  I wonder what the online options are like or if this is a local occurrence.

I've been noticing that a lot of face masks are being made out of polypropylene fabric sourced from recycled reusable grocery bags. I would never have thought of using this material and at first I thought it was an odd fabric choice.  It seems that polypropylene fabric is also used for sportswear, cold weather undergarments, military wear and diapers. Many reviewers are claiming that this is the best option but I'm happy with cotton fabric. It's breathable, comfortable to wear, resists static electric build-up, and can withstand heat, detergents and bleach. Okay maybe mixing bleach and the black denim might not be a good combination. If you're making face masks, what's your fabric of choice?

Well, that all in sewing news today. I should get back to work.

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!  

1 comment:

  1. For disinfecting, bleach is unnecessary. Washing in hot soap water, then pour over and let sit in boiling water before drying is sufficient. Some people bake them, I’m not sure of the details because I wasn’t interested in trying that. And yes, elastic is short supply everywhere! Some bra making suppliers still have some. Other options are all fabric ties, or skinny strips of jersey that rolls into round strings and stretches but is so soft.
    It’s nice to have something real and constructive to do in this time. I know your recipients love your gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...