Tuesday 7 September 2021

Men's Pull-on Pants: Kwik Sew 3663

Update:  The first attempt at this pattern turned out to be a mis-calculation in sizing.  So this pair hit the cutting table with seam ripper in hand to try to achieve a better fit.  


The inner leg and crotch curve were seam ripped open.  The pant leg length was cut down three inches.  And two rows of stitching were removed to try and free the elastic with the last row of stitching cut from the fabric.  I didn't tough the outer side seam since there were side pockets that I didn't want to lose and there wasn't anymore fabric to make a new pair.  

I pulled out the pattern to figure out where the new seams should be re-stitched to make this fit as a size smaller.  Instead of re-stitching the elastic as described in the pattern instructions, I sewed a casing for the elastic to be inserted into.  This is all because I don't know how well the elastic fits on the person they are gifted to and it's difficult to get feedback other than "it's too loose."  This way, I'll have an easier time get to the elastic if it need any additional adjustments.  The hem was top-stitched with a one-inch hem.  Hopefully, fingers crossed, these changes will be successful.  


This is a special project, already gifted, already delivered.  It pushed its way ahead of the queue and thankfully it was a quick project to stitch together.  


It has four pattern pieces (front, back, side and back pockets) and that makes Kwik Sew 3663 a perfect beginners pattern.  The back pockets were left off but I must say that I really like the technique used to stitch the side pockets.  I did stitch a drawstring with the selvage edge of my fabric but left it off after having some challenges with making the buttonholes and not wanting to fiddle with a seam ripper.  



The fabric is a soft cotton twill that I picked up at Northwest / Marshall Fabrics.  It was the perfect weight.  If this pair of pants get the thumbs up, I would be happy to revisit this pattern and make another pair.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch.  

Seam Finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.5 metres

Elastic1 metre 2 metres - 1 1/4 inch width

Interfacing:  0.3 metres

Pattern:   Kwik Sew 3663

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, measuring tape, measuring gauge, ironing board, iron, sewing machine, serger, screwdriver, seam ripper, thread clippers, scissors, buttonhole foot, walking foot, tailor's chalk and a cup of tea.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!


3 comments:

  1. I am curious. Great pants but made for man or woman? If made for man, was there not stitching for a faux fly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are made for a man and no, there wasn't any stitching for a faux fly. I should go back and add the pattern cover photo and technical drawings to the post. I was also thinking about sewing McCall's 6972 which does have a faux fly front. I chose this one because it had good reviews on Pattern Review as I typically don't sew menswear other than shirts. I was working kind of blind on this one as I don't have body measurements to help me and worked with a pair of ready-to-wear front zipper and waistband pants to guestimate sizing. These are a size XXL and they are too long and too loose. I couldn't figure out if that meant they are too loose in the hip area as well as they are for someone who was sitting in a wheelchair. So it's back to the drawing board on this project, I have another pair cut out in an XL and figures crossed the next pair is a better fit.

      Delete
    2. I am sure you will get it just right! It is not easy to fit someone wheel chair native. So gracious of you to put forth the effort and I can't wait to see how the final result goes.

      Delete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...