Friday 10 September 2021

Take Two: Kwik Sew 3663

UPDATEThey fit!!!  Size XL with a shortened leg length was the winning combination.  Now, I can work on pair number three and try to alter pair number one.   They don't fit.  Man, it's hard sewing for someone who can't give you the feedback you need or that you're unable to measure and fit.  Apparently, according to the person in charge of dressing, these are still too loose.  Actually, it's "a little loose," so the question remains how does "a little loose" translate into a value that can be measured?  Your guess is as good as mine.  And this is why I have a very strong dislike for sewing for others, fit.  Auuugggghhhhhhhh!      

Well, the first pair were too loose and long.  This despite the fact that I shortened the length and used a pair of ready-to-wear pair of pants as a guide to guestimate the sizing.  So, it was back to the cutting table.  I need to whip up another pair right after a trip to the fabric store for more elastic.  Luckily, this is a quick make.  

Theses have again been gifted, delivered and awaiting new feedback.  The first pair were sewn in the largest size from the pattern envelope, XXL.  This second attempt is made in a XL.  I did shorten the length on the hem once again, another inch this time.  The hem is sewn with a 1 1/4" hem.  The height of the waistband is also shorter since I went down a size on the pattern.  My fingers are crossed this size is just right.   

I will say it again, I'm quite smitten with the method of sewing these side pockets.  


Easy peasy make and a perfect project for a beginner.  It won't be so much fun trying to unpick the elastic from the first pair and try to tweak them into a wearable make.  But I will try.  

Back to this current pair of pants:  The fabric is a cotton stretch twill that has been in my stash for many many moons.  It could be very well a decades old stash find.  It is a lovely find for this project and it was a real nice feeling to finally stash bust this fabric.   


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 interior straight stitch and 2.8 straight stitch topstitching.  

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  3 metres (narrow width)

PatternKwik Sew 3663

Elastic:  0.89 cm

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, thread clippers, seam ripper, pins, pin cushions, measuring tape, measuring gauge, brush, new sewing machine needle, tweezers, canned air, screw driver, sewing machine, serger, and tea.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...