Sunday 5 September 2021

New Sewing Traditions: Interfacing

Do you remember back-in-the-day, way-back, when you could pick up interfacing for a project for a few dollars?  Yeah, I can hardly remember that either.  But I digress...

Right now, on the sewing table is a jean jacket project out of a 100% cotton denim.  It is cut out with the exception of the interfacing pieces for the collar, cuff and front facing.  In the past, I would have been searching the interfacing section at the fabric store for an appropriate option totally overlooking a suitable option in my own stash.  


My scrap pile is a gold mine when it comes to alternative interfacing pieces.  For this project,  a fusible interfacing is suggested but not needed and the opaque nature of the denim means that I can substitute interfacing with one of the 100% cotton remnants in my stash.  I have enough of this cotton left over from a recent project to use as a non-fusible interfacing.  

Now, I'm all set to sit down and sew once I find some free time.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!  




5 comments:

  1. Excellent tip. I hadn’t really thought about the sew-in interfacing potential of scraps, but now I will! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Thanks for this "thinking outside of the box" tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denim is a rather heavy fabric. It would require a near as heavy interfacing to stand up to the job of stabilizing the denim. It's certainly ok to use our scraps but we must keep in mind the job that needs to be done and use the appropriate fabrics .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bunny for the insight and reminder. This is something my home economics teacher taught us as well. Hmmm, now I'm wondering if I should revisit the stash before I start stitching.

      Delete
    2. You are such an excellent sewist, I am sure you will figure it all out. Can't wait to see your results!

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...