Thursday 30 September 2021

September in Review...

National Sewing Month

It's hard to believe that another month celebrating sewing has come and gone in a blink of an eye.  There once was a time when National Sewing Month meant something special and there was a feeling of wanting to share the excitement.  Not this year, this year festivities and excitement were non-existent.  Life didn't leave much room for such things.  


And then throw in there being on a low-carb diet, there weren't even celebratory sewing theme sweets.  


Bye, Bye Pandemic Pounds.  Hello, long missed me-made wardrobe! 

I've been wearing more of my pre-pandemic wardrobe.  It could be thanks to the low-carb diet, fitting more walking into my week or a lack of appetite.  Who knows?  I'm just glad that I'm able to revisit some me-made items that I haven't seen in a long while.   It all happened when I put this dress on and realized that it was quite loose.  I haven't worn it in awhile as it sat in the ironing pile while ironing fell to the bottom of the priority list.  So that incident sent me on a search if, dare I dream?  


This jumper has been packed away for a couple of years.  I couldn't imagine parting with it because of the quality of the fabric even though I had out-grown it.  And would you believe it fits?  I can hardly believe it.  The fabric, it's a 100% wool suiting.  


And this skirt made me so happy when I was able to zip it up.  I haven't been able to do that in years!  It is a favourite fall piece that I can't wait to wear again this autumn.  Another item that I could part with because of the quality of the fabric.  I kind of feel like I have a new fall wardrobe.  



Sewing & Mending

Sewing projects took an unexpected turn.  The denim jacket is sitting in a state of being unfinished as Kwik Sew 3663 took over the sewing space.  


Would you believe that the sewing space has never looked so tidy deserted?  Twenty-twenty-one doesn't seem to be the year that my sewing mojo has returned.  Even though, a denim jacket has typically been a fall and spring staple I just don't have the sewing mojo to finish it right now.  


I did have enough sewing mojo to work on some socks that need mending.  


I've been cutting up patches from a shrunken 100% wool sweater that is working out better than I could have imagined.  And look, wearable socks!   


Thought-provoking Reads

Instead of enjoying time at the sewing machine, sweet sewing-themed treats or window shopping the latest fall fabrics, I've been diving back into reading.  I started this book ages ago and recently picked it up again.  



This is a heartbreaking and disturbing tale that will make you examine your clothing labels and think twice about the viscose / rayon we find in our environment.  Stay tuned for a full book review.  


Output

Fabric:  10 metres (September) + 54.2 metres and 1 recycled skirt (previous months) = 64.2 metres + 1 recycled skirt

Zippers:  0 (September) + 1 - 20 cm regular zipper and 1 - 55 cm invisible zipper (previous months) = 2

Buttons:  0 (September) + 35 (previous months) = 35

Seam binding:  0 (September) + 10 metres (previous months) = 10

Knit 'N Stable tape:  0 (September) + 9.5 metres (previous months) = 9.5 metres

Elastic:  5 metres (September) + 14 metres (previous months) = 19 metres

Twill tape:  0 (September) + 0.5 metres (previous months) = 0.5 metres

Spools of Thread:  1 - 100 metres (September) + 4 000 metres (previous months) = 4 100 metres

Sewing machine needles:  1 (September) + 5 (previous months) = 6

Hand sewing needles:  0 (September) + 1 (previous months) = 1

Sewing Labels:  0 (September) + 1 (previous months) = 1

Sewing patterns:  1 (September) + 2 (previous months) = 3


Input

Fabric:  2.5 metres (September) + 54.6 metres (previous months) = 57.1 metres

Elastic:  4 metres (September) + 0 (previous months) = 4 metres

Buttons:  12 (September) + 10 (previous months) = 22 

Sewing patterns:  2 (September) + 7 (previous months) = 9

Seam binding:  0 (September) + 3 metres (previous months) = 3 metres

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing! 

 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you on wearing your for pandemic clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...