Thursday 31 December 2020

2020 in Review

January


From these items, there are currently three items found in my wardrobe.  The hankerchiefs, butterfly print and black silk scarfs were gifted. The floral dress was worn and loved for about eight months until it was lent and not returned.  Win some and lose some.  There were plans to replace this dress since the fit is lovely.  The denim shirtdress is another favourite make.  

February


February was all about a journey to find my ideal white shirt.  This was before the pandemic changed my idea of what I want to wear and my body shape.  The white pin-tucked shirt is currently packed away waiting for my pre-pandemic shape to return.  

March


March was about sewing for others and a basic black skirt sneaked in there for moi.  

April


As reality of pandemic life settled and changed our everyday life, face mask sewing over took the sewing space.  These were all gifted to others.  


Before personal shopping bags were banned from grocery retailers early on in the pandemic, I made a set.  And of course, getting dressed meant having a day time pajama set or two.  More gifted masks and one for moi.  


April was the start of a lot of charity sewing,  face masks for others and scrub caps for a nurses at an Ontario care home.  And there were re-useable Swiffer pads and one more piece of sleepwear.  

May


May continued with face masks and scrub caps to be gifted along with a cotton and silk blend slip.  I crossed off sewing a woven brassier from my sewing bucket list.  And as the novelty of wearing pajamas day and night wore off, a few dresses were added to the wardrobe to address the pandemic pounds that crept on this year.  
June


June was a mix of gift, charity and selfish sewing.  I tried out a Burda Petite pattern for what I hoped could be a car coat but it wasn't petite sized enough.  The white and black shirt was to replace a similar shirt that was damaged.  And the cork eye glass case is a much used item this year.  


Slips and scrub caps for others.  Linen pants for my changing body shape and soccer face mask to ease the sadness that the Euro Cup was postponed until next year.  

July


July wasn't a fun month for sewing.  I injured myself when trying to modify the pattern while taping and redrawing pattern lines on the floor before trying to find a table large enough to safely cut out the fabric.  Where the project didn't succeed in breaking my back it did break my heart as time ran out before the project could be completed.  By the time I had the fabrics needed to complete the project (it would be a couple of months before it would arrive), I couldn't get access to the location where I could use a tabled area to cut out the fabric.  It will be the project that messed with my heart and all the joy I felt for sewing.  

The projects that I did manage to make in July are my least favoured, I made the dress because I wasn't able to fit into my summer wardrobe from last year and the top felt more comfortable as a jacket.  Pandemic pounds are starting to bum me out.    

August


While waiting for fabric for the cloak pattern to be decided on, I spent most of my time sewing for others and watching the pandemic news hoping and praying that the local government would mandate face masks in schools.  I crossed off jeans from my sewing bucket list and tried to make my own medical device.  


What I thought would be the last of the scrub caps sent to the care home in Ontario. 

September


The beginning of September was void of cloak fabric and cooling temperatures dictated a need for something warm to wear.  There was a baby outfit cut out as I waited for fabric to be decided on and purchased, it's still hanging out on the unfinished pile.  Fabric for the cloak finally arrived around mid-September but not with appropriate lining fabric added to this, difficulty in the arrangement for a spot with tables large enough to cut out the fabric.  I returned to work at this time as well, making time to cut and sew an added challenge. Tragically, time ran out and I was asked to return the fashion fabric so that someone else to take on this task.  This project crushed me, it broke my heart.  I lost my desire to sew and my desire to to look at my sewing equipment.  I gave away one of my sewing machines.  I couldn't imagine ever wanting to sew again.  

October


Around mid-October, a heart-breaking comment by Rocky Delahunty appeared that spoke of incredible strength and the power of sewing.  I must have read and re-read that comment what felt like a million times before I made my way to unpack and set up the sewing machine by the end of the month.  

November



November's sewing ended up being all about work related needs.  The need for work appropriate clothing that fit while I try to loose weight.  And after success with a new face mask pattern, I made more and gifted a majority of these to school staff who have to wear glasses.  

December

 


December my sewing mojo had not yet returned full swing although it did start to emerge along with another request for more scrub caps. It felt like just a final push to get some requested items done and off the sewing table but this time I learned how to pace myself and take a break when needed. With the exception of the cardigan and one of the black tuques, all of the December makes (plus one more face mask not shown here) have been gifted with some on route to other parts of the country. And there you have it, this year's sewing story.  

This year I have managed to de-stash: 
  • 164 metres fabric 
  • 1 refashioned sweater
  • 1 refashioned sock
  • 1 sewing machine
  • 2 sewing books
  • 1 tomato pin cushion
  • 1 package of tailor's chalk
  • 4 packages of sewing needles
  • 2.7 metres basting tape
  • 13.94 metres elastic
  • 4 invisible zippers
  • 2 jean zippers
  • 11.45 metres fusible interfacing
  • 34 metres Knit 'N Stable tape
  • 28 cord stoppers
  • 72.9 metres twill tape / ribbon
  • 34.75 metres bias tape (seam binding)
  • 1 shoe laces
  • 2 metal hook and eye
  • 76 buttons
  • 4 snaps
  • 4.1 metres cord
  • 4 labels
So, the question remains... How did I do on my 2020 goals that I set out at the end of 2019?  

1.  Patterns.  I had a goal use the patterns I have and not add anymore to the stash.  There were sixteen patterns added to the stash in 2020.  My bad.  

2.  Charity Sewing.  I can proudly check this one off as complete.  

3.  Explore Cost Saving Tips.  Okay, that fell to the sidelines.  Maybe in 2021?  

4.  Sewing from the stash.  I did happen to add to the stash mostly notions for making face masks otherwise I did sew from the stash.  

5.  Avoid the trappings of trend watching.  Well, the only fashion trend I fell for this year was face masks and I don't regret that at all.  

Stay Safe, Happy Sewing and Wishing you all Health and Joyful times in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Sateen Skirt: The Assembly Line S:403 / A-line Midi Skirt

This skirt was made to go with the kAtheRine Tilton top I finished yesterday.  It's the A-line midi skirt from The Assembly Line.   Th...