Tuesday 31 December 2019

My Sewing Top Fives: Reflections & Goals

As the end of another year is quickly approaching with the traditional look back and reflect on the good, bad and the ugly from the sewing table in order to do better next year.  So here goes:

1.  Patterns:  

I will admit when there is a new release that comes out from one of the pattern companies I can't resist to take a look.  With the exception of the 2019 Fall Vogue line and discovering The Assembly Line's Tulip dress pattern, I wasn't really all that tempted by many of the new patterns.  I did pick up some patterns used for gift / charity projects and a few second-hand / vintage finds.  Reflecting back on 2019 most of my sewing projects were re-visited or mix-and-matched patterns and pattern pieces.  I honestly can do without any more additions to the pattern stash.  And I was most proud of the projects that came about by mixing favourite elements of various patterns.  So, that's a goal for 2020, no more patterns, I'm just going to be creative with the ones I have here.  Who knows I might even be tempted to draft my own based on vintage clothing details that I admire.  

2.  Sewing Projects:  

In 2019, there was quite a bit of Charity and Gift sewing.  A total of 37 items fell into this category and I found this type of sewing to be extremely rewarding.  One of my 2020 goals will be to continue to explore how I can give back to my community through sewing.

3.  Sewing IS Getting CRAZY Expensive:  

I was shocked to find Burda tracing paper priced at $24.99 Cdn + taxes at Fabricland.  That's just insane.  Even if you use a membership card that you have to pay a $25.00 annual membership to get a 20% members discount.  It's still insanely priced.  And it's not just tracing paper, it makes me feel sad to think about anyone starting out in sewing and has the desire to learn.  So, that being said in 2020 on the blog I would like to explore cost effective ways of sewing without sacrificing quality.

4.  Sewing From the Stash:  

In 2019, 23% of the fabrics used for the projects made were purchased during the year, 77% were from the stash and it felt great de-stashing. Another goal is to de-stash further by using 100% of materials from the stash, including fabrics used for interfacing and underlining to de-stashing notions.  I plan to go as far as redesigning a closure if I don't have the right zipper or buttons in the stash.

5.  The Trapping of Trend Watching:  

2019 was the year that I fell for the trapping of trend watching.  I should know better at this age that it will only lead to craziness in the sewing room.  Sure, Meghan Markle looked absolutely chic in that trench dress.  And I should have just admired it from afar instead of trying to create the look only to try to save it by refashioning the project into a skirt.  So that's my final goal for  2020, be mindful of what shapes fit my petite and unique shape and sometimes trends are meant to be a cultural and political statement that don't fit my own.

Well, that's all I have to say from this little corner of the sewing world.  I wish you and yours a blessed and happy New Year!  And raise a glass to a productive and joyful sewing journey in the upcoming year!

Happy Sewing!  



1 comment:

  1. I love tried and true patterns, though this year I have managed to sew a few new ones.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...