Thursday 26 December 2019

Would it be Christmas Without New Underwear or Socks? Simplicity 8229


I can still get away with mending my socks so it's a new batch of undies for Christmas. I used Simplicity 8229 and supplies from the collection and ta-da!

Simplicity 8229 has been my go-to pattern for sewing panties. My experience has been that this pattern is perfect but I've read reviews that said they fit is weird. Looking back at my reviews over the years and checking the sizing on the pattern piece, I did go down a size smaller than I would have thought would have fit me.  And I cut the waist length of elastic shorter than suggested in the pattern. Maybe keep that in mind if trying out the pattern. Otherwise, like I said, I think the pattern is perfect.  


The Stats

Fabric:  0.5 metres (I was able to squeeze out 3 pairs from this length)

Elastic:  4+ metres picot elastic

PatternSimplicity 8229

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Scissors, pins, cutting table, iron, ironing board, thread clippers, sewing machine, serger, screwdriver, walking foot, mini vacuum, lint brush, and thread (cotton for the sewing machine, polyester for the serger). 

Happy Sewing and Best of Holiday Wishes!


3 comments:

  1. I couldn’t understand why anyone would spend the time and money to make panties when they were so cheap to buy until the past couple years. I’m a believer! Merry Christmas and enjoy your new undies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's all about having them made in the fabric I like (Cotton) and the fit. But yes, even economically it's becoming a bonus reason. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I phrased that badly. Economics aren’t much of a factor unless you are making lux or specialty undies, it’s the fit and comfort that convinced me as well. And they are pretty fast to whip out so the time investment isn’t bad at all.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...