Saturday 21 December 2019

Repeat: McCall's 2447

I might be ending the sewing year the same way it started, with McCall's 2447, circa 1999.  It's a button-down shirt with a back pleat and couture yoke. The pattern might be twenty years old but this one is a classic. 


The only change that was made to this pattern design was lengthening the hem by two inches. Otherwise, just the method instructed in the pattern for sewing the yoke I switched for the couture (known online by more hip-than-I sewists as the burrito) method outline in my Reader's Digest Sewing book, circa 1980.  I also chose to interface the top portion of the shirt pocket.


The fabric is a shirting fabric from the stash. It was pretreated with a tumble through the washing machine and dryer followed by a steam pressing before it hit the cutting table.  It handled the process well and even handled the cotton heat setting on the iron although I suspect that this is a blend. The cut edges of this fabric was prone to some fraying and it does have a light-weight drape structure to it. I don't have any record of a fibre content for this one.


The number of buttons were increased from what is recommended on the pattern envelope.  Instead of seven recommended, I used ten. The buttons was sourced from a big collection of odds and ends and I only had nine of the two whole buttons that I used in the front.  The cuffs have a matching colour but are four-holed buttons. I was just making do with what I have in the stash.


McCall's 2447 is a well-drafted pattern. I would highly recommend this one if you're in the market for a men's shirt pattern.  

The Stats

Fabric:  2.5 metres

Interfacing:  1 metre fusible

Buttons:  11 - 9 mm 

Pattern:  McCall's 2447

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, iron, ironing board, pressing mitt, sleeve ham, pins, measuring tape, measuring gauge, ruler, tailor's chalk, sewing machine, walking foot, buttonhole foot, cutting board, hammer, buttonhole cutter, serger, various threads, hand sewing needle, tailor's wax, thimble, tweezers, screwdriver, scissors, thread clippers and a tea break or two.  

Happy Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...