Tuesday 29 December 2020

Cardigan: Vogue 9215

This pattern was found in the reduce pattern pile.  For six dollars, I was willing to give Vogue 9215 a whirl. It is currently an out-of-print (OOP) pattern and still available on the Vogue website.  



It was the "jacket" that captured my interest. Vogue 0215 lists this as an unlined jacket but I would define this garment as a cardigan. There are no front fasteners and it's made out of a cotton knit. 

There was a point early in the sewing process that I thought this would not work out. I'm glad that I continued on because this item is a keeper. 

The pattern envelope shows it as a hip length garment but I'm no where the height of a Vogue model so this one is just about above knee length. And would you believe that I shortened the lower hem by an inch?  The sleeve length was shortened by two and a half inches. I really like the flare of the lower portion and it is comfortable as a topper with a black t-shirt dress. I did omit the side pockets only because I didn't like the construction of the single layer pocket stitched to the front pieces. And I eliminated the centre back seam, placing it on the fold.  


The fabric was a discount section find at Fabricland and was labelled as a cotton knit.  I pre-treated the fabric with a tumble through the washing machine followed by the dryer cycle.  It shrank quite a bit.  The pattern calls for 2.2 metres, I used 2.5 metres prewashed and barely had enough yardage. Which makes me happy that I took the time to preshrink this fabric before hand.   


Project Details

Seams:  Lightning bolt / Knit stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.5 metres

Fusible Interfacing:  5.9 metres Knit 'N Stable tape

Pattern:  OOP Vogue 9215

Label:  Kylie and the Machine's "Me Made"

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, measuring tape, scissors, pins, pin cushions, tailor's chalk, Jean-a-ma-jig, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, thread, thread clippers, iron, ironing board and tea.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!


1 comment:

March in Review

Happy Easter! Photo from the 2024 Easter Parade in NYC { Photo Credit :  Joanna Moriello, New York Daily News} This is a scene outside St. P...