Fabric Used: 1.6 metres of Sweater knit fleece. I picked up this fabric at Fabricland in the summer of 2012. It finally went on sale, reduced further down to $10.00/metre. The original price was $32.00/metre. Did I need more fabric in my stash? No, but it looked so pretty and felt so soft.
Pattern Used: Vogue 8854, I picked this pattern recently as soon as it was released as part of the Winter 2012 line. It was a last minute change, I had a completely different pattern picked out for the fabric.
Snaps Used: 3, 15 mm snaps. I have several packages of these in my sewing stash. I use them instead of back waistband buttons on skirts. They worked perfect here too.
Dinner and theatre plans preempted my plans to finish sewing Vogue 8854 last night. This evening I was back at it and managed to finish my knit fleece. And just in the nick of time...
Blizzard warning in effect.
- Cloudy. Periods of freezing drizzle beginning near midnight. Wind south 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low minus 8.
- Snow and blowing snow. Blizzard developing late in the afternoon. Snowfall amount 5 cm. Wind north 40 km/h gusting to 60. Temperature falling to minus 13 in the afternoon.
- Friday night
- Blizzard. Snowfall amount 10 to 15 cm. Wind north 50 km/h gusting to 70. Low minus 17. Wind chill minus 27.
It looks like I will be staying indoors this weekend and sewing until the snow stops. Then I'll have to head outside to shovel some of that snow, which will be the perfect time to try out my new polar fleece.
I know it doesn't quite look like the pattern illustration or photographs. Most noticeable change is the hemline.
I found the hemline too long on me, so I shortened it. Keep in mind, I am short stating at five foot one. And a half on a good day. I didn't keep the original shape of the hemline, instead I cut it straight across starting at the side seams.
I chose to close the front using three 15 mm snaps. No snaps on the collar, I happy without any here.
The sweater fleece has a kangaroo style pocket in the front. If I were to make any changes to the pattern, it would be to this pocket. A little wider and this pocket would be my idea of perfect.
I did abandon the instructions when it came to the sleeves. I didn't see the reason for sewing the side and sleeve before setting it in as a fitted sleeve. I chose to attach the sleeve to the armhole before sewing up the sides instead. There was no need for easing the sleeve into place.
The fabric has been in my stash since the fall of 2012. There might be enough left over fabric to make some small project in the near future.