Saturday 12 January 2013

In Sewing News Today...

It is the perfect weekend to sew, lots of snow outside to shovel and a healthy sense of procrastination lead me straight to my sewing workspace. And it is warm inside.

My big plan was to tackle McCall's 9264.  It was suppose to be an easy project, just four pattern pieces. I thought I could whip it up in no time. You see I cut it out before I went back to work this week. I was all proud of myself with my organizational skills, I even show 'n tell'd about it this week.

I took it out of the drawer and started mark-ing the darts.

I carefully unfolded the pattern instructions and ran my hand across the printed words and instructions. I was all set to go, sew I thought.

Step one looked simple enough, it is darts. And besides, I made this dress back-in-the-day.

Oh my!  What have I done? My bodice piece does not look like the pattern piece in the illustration!

I can't believe I goofed before I even poked a needle into my fabric. I was suppose to cut the bodice on the fold above the darts. Oops!

And I did this to both the bodice front and lining pieces. Luckily, I have enough left-over floral fabric to re-cut another bodice. I plan to do that when I have a healthy dose of coffee running through my system. I'm not sure if I have enough left-over silk for the lining. But it is all good, I'm sure I have other lining fabric that I can use. Instead of cutting last night I moved onto another project.

I pulled Vogue 8835 out of the drawer. I figure that a pattern rated "very easy" would make me feel better about making that silly error with the McCall's pattern.

It didn't quite work because this pattern calls for a centred zipper. I haven't sewn one of these in quite some time. Not since I mastered invisible zippers using basting tape. But an invisible zipper won't work here.

I went searching and came across the latest episode of It's Sew Easy. Have you seen this show? I don't get it up here on the telly but they post their episodes on the internet. This week's episode they have Janet Pray demonstrating how to sew a centred zipper without pins or basting tape. It is a technique that she says they use on the factory floor. I thought this might be interesting to check out.

I enjoyed the segment and I'm off to try her technique. Just the zipper and front yoke lining to install and then I'm done my next stash-busting project. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Until then, Happy Sewing!




2 comments:

  1. That was a shame about the bodice top - though we have all done that at some stage! I also watch It's Sew Easy online, when I remember - they have lots of useful tricks...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I goofed with a pattern I made before. Luckily there is enough of the dress fabric to re-cut the bodice front.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...