Friday 4 January 2013

In Sewing News Today...

I stepped into a fabric store this afternoon. I know, but I had to in order to finish my stash busting project #3. Yes! I'm starting project #3. Back to the fabric store... don't worry, I did not purchase any fabric I was focused on the task at hand.

My big purchase were five small spools of thread to match the crepe knit from my stash. And a roll of Wash Away Wonder Tape since my fabric likes to roll like nobody's business. I'm going to use the tape when it comes to doing the hem. There is a cut sample of my fabric sitting in front of the spools of thread. The plan is to make the long sleeve version of Vogue 1312 in a knit.

As part of a incentive to prevent me from adding to my fabric stash in 2013, I chose not to renew my Fabricland membership last year. I was not about to renew it now even though it would have saved me some coin on today's purchase.

I was going to bite the bullet and get the heck out of Dodge.

The sales lady asked, "Do you have a membership?"

"No, I didn't renew it," I replied as a Fabricland membership card falls onto the counter.

"She's with me," an elegantly dressed woman interrupts.

The sales lady proceeds with the transaction. For a moment I was speechless. I thanked her, of course, once I recovered from the shock.

How sweet was that! That random act of kindness saved me ten dollars. I've never seen this lady before and I was shopping at a Fabricland location that I don't normally shop at, I was blown away. She totally made my day and renewed my fading faith in the kindness of people. Just when you least expect it.

It was unexpected and wow, did it ever make my day.  

Yes, I'm sewing my third stash busting project. It is amazing what you can accomplish when you're laid off from work. Don't worry, I have posts scheduled to appear. I finished my first Jungle January project yesterday and the post will appear tomorrow. Promise.

Right now I'm taking a break from Project #3 because I have quite a bit of seam ripping to take care of before I get back to work. I think it was a sign from the sewing gods that I should put it aside project #3 and work on another vest using Simplicity 4762

Nephew #3 came over this week. He presents a challenging fitting problem. He is much too small for a men's small and he's much to large for a boys large. And he is tall. Trying on the muslin that I used for his brother's vest, it was crazy how much I had to take it in from the seams. That just make the front dart off centre, it was messy. I didn't know what to do besides pray that he gained some weight.

Since that last muslin fitting, I don't know if he gained weight but he did gain some inches around his waist. He is still skinny but I can work with the new measurements. We decided that removing the dart would be a good idea and I'll still have to take in the side and back seams but I think it will work. I really should get to it before he gains anymore weight/inches and this new plan won't work. Man, when they go through growing spurts, they really grow!  

That is all in sewing news today.

Happy Sewing!  


4 comments:

  1. Sewists are just swell people...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is so true. I don't know why I was initially shocked by the gesture.

      Delete
  2. Sewers have a bond to help each other out at all times!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...