Saturday 5 January 2013

Hello Baby!

Stash busting 2013:  Project #2.
Inspired by Jungle January.

Fabric used:   2.6 metres of knit fabric. I found this in the bargain section of Fabricland. I had no idea what I was going to make with it at the time but it was 70% off and animal prints were coming into style in a big way. Did they ever go out of style?

Twill tape:       Approximately six inches, this twill tape has been in my stash for years.  When I use twill tape I don't use a lot of it.  The package has been lasting for quite some time now.

Sewing Needles Used:  I changed the sewing machine needles on my sewing machine. From my sewing stash, I used a new ball point needle that has been in my stash for a few years now. And a new knit twin needle that I picked up back in August 2012.

Pattern used:  McCall's 6612 another recent 2012 addition to my sewing stash.

*****

Over a year ago, I believe it was, I found this fabric at Fabricland in the reduced section. I'll admit that it has been sitting in my fabric stash while I hopefully got over my fear of sewing knits.

I finally got over it. I have a new-ish Janome that has helped build my confidence. The machine came with a set of quilting attachments that has been a gift from the gods. What gift am I talking about?

Well, that would be a walking foot.

"Hello Baby!"

I have to tell you I had no issues what-so-ever sewing my knit fabric using the walking foot. The walking foot has an extra set of feed dogs that moves the upper layer of fabric while the sewing machine's feed dogs moves the lower layer of fabric. As these two sets of feed dogs work together there is no puckering of you fabric.

Yeah, "Hello Baby!"

I used a knit stitch and a brand new ball point needles. There was no stopping me.

The dress does not look like the pattern, McCall's 6612.  Since I am a hippy gal, I cut the McCall's pattern as is around the neckline and armhole pivoting from the neckline centre front and back.

This gave me some fullness that I feared I might need. I love the way it looks although I could have gone with less fullness and still have been okay. I'll file away this knowledge for next time I use this pattern.

I have to make a confession, this stash busting resolution just might prove to be tougher than I thought.

I was just using various threads up to sew this dress up and it really didn't matter as nothing showed until I hit the finishing touches. I took out my twin needle and set it up in the machine. I tested how it looked on a scrap piece of the knit. I was sold. And that is when I hit the panic button. I couldn't find suitable thread!

My sewing was briefly interrupted as I poured my thread drawer out on the cutting table and luckily I found some dark brown thread. That was a close call. A sigh of relief and it was back to work on my stash-busting merry way.

With the right tools, I'm unstoppable when it comes to tackling my knit fabric stash.

Is it just me or does it look like a bit much?

I'm not used to wearing that much animal print all at once or out in public. And I know that it won't fly at my ultra conservative Catholic school workplace. But I like it.

I think this is a "pour me a martini darling. I plan to stay in tonight and lounge" outfit. Doesn't every gal need one of those?

Happy Sewing!









6 comments:

  1. Ideal to slip on after a long day at work! I think it looks great - you sooooo must join up with PrttynPnk who is hosting a Jungle feast on animal fabric garments in January...

    http://prttynpnk.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/jungle-january-in-praise-of-textile-beasties/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So on that! This is my first play-along Jungle January outfit! More to come, but I have to make a few decisions first.

      Delete
  2. That is obscenely cozy looking! If I had that one, I'd be covered in nesting dachshunds and my houseboy Pepe would have to keep my drink replenished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous, you have a houseboy! Grrr, lol.

      Delete
  3. This is the 'cat's meow'. Great outfit.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...